Is azelaic acid 20% (aziderm) as effective as hydroquinone 4% for skin lightening and revival of my natural untanned complexion?

I have used hydroquinone 4% with retinol before and it yielded dramatic results (for tanning issues) But those results were temporary. I want a safer skin regimen that could be continued for long periods. Is azelaic+tretinoin a potent and safe option for long term usage?

Azelaic Acid and Hydroquinone and Treatment of Pigment

Azelaic acid is not a treatment of pigmentary abnormalities whereas hydroquinone is. Both should be overseen by a physician who is an expert in skin rejuvenation. When used correctly, hydroquinone can be safely used indefinitely.

Highlands Plastic Surgeon