I am going in for my first consult Nov. 28 2016. I would like to know what usually happens at your first consult? (Photo)

Am I getting my hopes up if I am an A cup, 114 lbs, and 5'5", wanting to go to a D? What can I expect at my first consult?

I am going in for my first consult Nov. 28 2016. I would like to know what usually happens at your first consult?

Hello dear, thanks for your question, depending on your surgeon you will have to tell him what bothers you and how you will like to look, he will recommend what are the best options for you.

I am going in for my first breast augmentation consultation; I would like to know what usually happens during this consultation?

This is a great question, as patients often want to know what to expect at their breast augmentation consultation.  Being prepared with questions and knowing the process will make the consultation more pleasurable and meaningful for you. 

The purpose of the initial consultation is several.  First of all you need to find out if you are a good candidate for a breast augmentation, some patients are better served with a lift and augmentation or another procedure to help them reach their goals. 

Second, the consultation will help you decide if I am the correct plastic surgeon for you.  There are a lot of good plastic surgeons in the Austin area.  It is important that you feel comfortable with your surgeon.  You want to know that they are going to be there for you through out the whole breast augmentation process. 

Thirdly, the consultation will explain the process from beginning to end.  This will include what is needed to prepare for your breast augmentation surgery to the actual day of your surgery and the recovery needed from the procedure.

Forth, at the consultation we will discuss the various breast implant options, including size and shape of the implants.  Deciding on the best size for each individual person is the hardest part for women as they have so many options now to choose from for their breast augmentation surgery.  To make the decision easier I will have you put on a special bra and tank top then use our sizing kit to allow you to see what you would look like with the various implant sizes.  I have you try on a full range of implants as I want patients to try on a lot of different implants so they can make an informed decision about what breast implant they like best!  

During the consultation we also discuss the various styles and shapes of implants available to patients.  I show you the difference between a shaped and round breast implant. We also talk about smooth and textured implants.  Lastly we discuss the new implants on the market including the gummy bear implants.  There is no one implant that is best for everyone so depending on your individual goals I can recommend the best implant for you!

I also encourage patients to bring in pictures of the look they are hoping to achieve with their breast augmentation.  This will help me guide patients on an appropriate implant to achieve these goals. 

After we have finished sizing with the breast implants you have the opportunity to ask any questions you might have that I did not cover during the consultation. 

Once all of your questions have been answered you will have time to speak with the patient care coordinator.  She is the one that will help with scheduling your surgery by finding the date that works best for you.  She will also go over the total cost of the procedure.  She can also answer any questions that you might have forgotten to ask during your consultation.  The patient care coordinator can also help with care credit or other financing options if you are interested in these as well. 

At the completion of the visit you will be given a packet that has all the information that was covered during your consultation that way you can refer back to it when you get home.  You also have Dr. Franco’s email and his patient care coordinator’s email in case you have questions when you get home or several days later.

I hope this help with an overview of your breast augmentation consultation.  Please consult with your board certified plastic surgeon about the procedure as they can help guide you through the process.   

Your breast augmentation consultation

Education should be a priority in your consultation, as well as getting a good feeling for the office and staff.  You will meet the doctor so you can share your goals and he will give you general information about the breast augmentation procedure.  You will then have a physical exam so the doctor can determine if you are a good candidate for the procedure.  The doctor will make recommendations about size and type of implants depending upon the look you are trying to achieve and your anatomy.  There should be an opportunity to review pre and post operative photos of the doctor's own patients. Typically you also meet the patient coordinator who will review costs and scheduling.  You can then take the information home with you to make your decision. Of importance would be making sure the doctor is a board certified plastic surgeon, that he/she specializes in breast surgery, that the surgical facility is accredited as an ambulatory surgery center, that an anesthesiologist is the person administering your sedation and ultimately that you feel comfortable with the physician and his staff. Good luck getting the information you want and need!

Kevin Bounds, MD
Virginia Beach Plastic Surgeon

What should I expect at my consult?

Typically a discussion of your goals and priorities will take place, as well as an exam to obtain important measurements as well as assess your tissue quality and anatomy. Oftentimes sizers are used to help determine the size that you want to be. At the end of the consultation a plan is determined including the size and type of implant, where it will be placed and by what incision. I hope this helps.

What a Consultation Involves

Thank you for your question. I recommend that you seek out board certified Plastic Surgeons in your area whose before and after photos appeal to you. At your consultation a lot of information should be covered such as surgical options/technique, implant type/incision and placement. Review of your health picture and any medical concerns will be discussed. Risks and considerations for surgery are provided.

You should feel that you have opportunity to communicate clearly what your goals and concerns are. Your Plastic Surgeon will examine you and likely measure you in order to provide precise, implant size options.

My patients find it helpful to try on implant sizers in the office for the first time at this appointment. We provide surgery booking information and financial policies as well as an overview of what is included with surgery fees- post op visits, etc.

It is important for you to understand your chosen surgeon's credentials and facilities for operating. Typically, there will be a contact person whom you can follow up with if you get home and have further questions.

All the best

Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision

I appreciate your question.

The size of implant best for you is dictated by your chest wall measurements.  Once we determine that we can choose the profile based on what you want or need to achieve.  If you are seeking a natural look, then the diameter of the implant should be equal to or, more ideally, smaller than the width of your breast. The breast width is a measurement of how wide your breast is at the base, which should be measured at the level of the nipple. Choosing an implant that is smaller in diameter than your breast width will avoid the "side breast" fullness that is often associated with a more artificial appearance.  Other than that, you should choose the implant based on volume, not on the dimensions of the implant. You should choose a board certified plastic surgeon that you trust to help guide you in this decision.  

Silicone will give you a fullness at the top (upper pole fullness).

Silicone implants come pre-filled with a silicone gel and are the softest implant available. They feel more natural, which makes them a good option for women with less natural breast tissue; but they require a larger incision. It may be more difficult to realize if this type of implant has ruptured, so it is important to monitor them with annual follow-up visits. Additionally, because this implant contains a more liquid silicone (less cross-linked), if this implant should rupture, it will leak only into the scar capsule formed around the implant but may cause some discomfort or implant distortion.

Anatomic gummy bear implants might be a good choice to give you volume.

These highly-sought-after, anatomic implants offer a look that more closely resembles the natural silhouette of a breast, and, therefore, are a very attractive option for individuals seeking a natural-looking, aesthetic primary breast augmentation. Additionally, these implants are an especially excellent option for patients undergoing restorative or corrective breast surgery because they provide more stability, shape, and reduced incidence of capsular contracture. Compared to other types of silicone gel implants, the silicone in the cohesive gel implant is more cross-linked; therefore, should the implant shell “rupture,” it maintains its shape and silicone does not leak.

During your breast augmentation consultation, you should feel the different types of implants available, and try on various implant sizers in front of a mirror to help you to get an idea of how you will look following the surgery. You should also bring pictures of the look you would like to achieve, as well as a favorite top to wear when trying on implant sizers.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

Finding the right surgeon

Hello and thank you for your question. It is very important that you thoroughly research your surgeon before committing to surgery. It is a good idea to research your surgeon's educational background, online reviews, before & after pictures, and speak with anyone who you may know who has had surgery with that surgeon. During your consultation, make sure that you don't feel rushed and make sure that you have adequate time with your surgeon and not just their patient coordinator or nurses. If the majority of your consultation is spent with someone other than the surgeon, this is usually not a good sign. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified expert surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

What happens at first consult for breast augmentation?

Thank you for your question.  At your first consultation, you will meet the surgeon as well as staff, review before and after pictures and have an in person exam.  Also, recommendations will be made as far as implant type, incision location and details of the surgery.  The risks of the surgery will be discussed in detail.  Time will be spent using a 3D imaging system to review different sizes of implants.  Best of luck to you!

Chad Robbins, MD

Breast AugmentationConsult

Jonnie.   Congratulations on your decision to consider breast augmentation. Consultation for breast augmentation usually lasts approximately one hour in my practice because I prefer to be completely comfortable with new patients' desires and expectations. I hope to be certain regarding all aspects of patient wishes, like size and shape. I recommend that prospective patients bring photos of breast size that they desire, because it is much more accurate. Patients try on different sized implants with a bra to also get an idea of size. Also all pros and cons of the operation should be fully discussed. Check out the link below to an article i wrote about the subject.Be sure to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon. Good luck!

Robert M. Tornambe, MD

What happens at breast augmentation consult

You will meet the surgeon and several of the staff. You should have a good interaction with everyone involved. The staff will get your basic medical information and I would talk to your goals and the four most important things to consider with breast augmentation. 1. Incision location.  2. Implant location. 3. Implant type. 4.  Implant size. 

I would then take measurements of your chest and I would let you try out several implants in a sports bra to see which implant size gave you the result you desire.   Finally we would give you total cost information and help with scheduling if you are ready to proceed. 

Jonathan Amspacher, MD
Kansas City Plastic Surgeon