Inamed Moderate Profile Implants vs Mentor Moderate Plus Profile Implants

I recently had my breast augmentation using an Inamed moderate profile, but I was just wondering, would I have the same look if I the Mentor's moderate plus profile?

Minimal

The small differences in calculated projection and base diameter of the two implants would be minimal in situ- once the implants are placed and interact with the surrounding tissues. It is very unlikely you would be able to tell them apart.

Both manufacturers make very high quality implants. We have used both in our practice.

It is common for patients to wonder about differences in implants, shapes, projections, etc. after surgery, especially early in the postoperative phase.

Your choice of breast implant manufacturer would most likely not impact your look

More than likely, your appearance would be minimally changed. There are some minor differences in the dimension of the breast implants for each implant volume between the manufacturers, Inamed and Mentor.

Thanks for your question.

Stephen A. Goldstein, MD
Englewood Plastic Surgeon

Difficult to know

In general, I think most plastic surgeons agree that there are very few noticeble differences between the implants of the two major companies, Mentor and Allergan. There some subtle differences, but surgeons get very nice results with either type of implant.

As long as you are happy with your results, that's what counts!

Shahram Salemy, MD, FACS

Both Manufacturers are Excellent

Both manufacturers make excellent implsnts: you made a good choice!

There are minor differences in the dimensions and shapes between the implant manufacturers.  The differences are so minor, you'd likely not be able to see the difference!

Paul C. Zwiebel, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Moderate PLUS profile implants help to prevent rippling.

To dichu,

If you are happy with your result, then relax. The implants you have are perfectly good. The implant quality for both companies is excellent.

I personally use Mentor implants because only Mentor offers the moderate plus profile implant which is my favorite for most patients. The trouble with the "moderate profile" implant is that it is really a low profile implant and it is relatively underfilled. Because of this, patients (particularly thin patients) can develop rippling with moderate profile implants, even though they are silicone gel implants. For this reason, I personally don't use moderate profile implants, but many excellent surgeons do. Plastic surgery is as much an art as a science.

So I only use either Mentor moderate plus implants or Mentor high profile implants.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

The most important question is are you happy with your result

There are numerous options with breast augmentation, the brand of implant and the dimensions of the implant are just a few of the choices that must be made. It is most important to select an implant that is neither too wide or too small for your breast and chest. Either of these features could be fulfilled with the Mentor or Inamed implants.

Very close

I have used both products over many years and doubt you would see much difference as long as the base diameters were the same.  The moderate and moderate plus profiles are distinctly different from the high profile implants in their look.

Would probably be the same

There are really not many differences between the Allergan (Inamed) moderate profile and Mentor moderate profile plus implants. They are both the respective middle profile implant for their company, and among the most commonly used implants for cosmetic breast augmentation.

As a board certified plastic surgeon who utilizes implants from both of these companies, I try to select the perfect implant size and profile according to my patients' breast and chest dimensions as well as their preoperative desires. There is a tiny difference with regards to projection of the implants, but this is a difference in millimeters, literally. So if you are happy with your results, I would not spend time wondering "what if" regarding the Mentor vs Allergan aspect. Your results should be just as nice with either and there is certainly no right or wrong implant with regards to comparing these two types.

Hope this helps!

Brian S. Glatt, MD, FACS
Morristown Plastic Surgeon

Different Companies/Different Profiles Explained.

Mentor and Allergan have similar round implants:  

Moderate Profile Classic is close to  Style 10.
Widest diameter. Least projection. 

Moderate Profile Plus is close to Style 15.  
Slightly smaller diameter.  Slightly more projection. 

High Profile is close to Style 20.  
Even smaller diameter.  More projection. 

Ultra High Profile is close to Style 45.  
Smallest diameter.  Greatest projection. 

Rather than picking a name (High Profile sounds good!), you should work with your plastic surgeon to see which base diameter best fits the base diameter of your natural breast.  Then, it is a matter of seeing how much volume and projection that you desire and gives you the final shape and size that you really want.  

Inamed (now called Natrelle) and Mentor are both high quality companies. The look would be comparable as their only subtle differences in the profile and sizes available with two implant companies.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS