I'm a black woman with facial hair. Which laser would be best for me?

Lasers for Dark Skin

At my practice, we use the LightSheer® DUET™ for laser hair removal. This system is one of the most advanced lasers available today, and it's both safe and effective for patients with dark skin and hair. For the best results, I recommend seeking a qualified practitioner in your area who uses the LightSheer DUET system. Good luck!

Tucson Dermatologic Surgeon

Laser Hair Removal for African American skin

The best laser hair removal for dark skin is the nd-Yag.  I prefer the Gentle Yag from Candela.  I find it to be safe, effective, with great results.  It can also be used on patients who have dark skin and are of Indian, Asian, or Mediterranean descent.  Please find a board certified dermatologist for the best cosmetic results.

Best laser for a black woman with facial hair

The long-pulsed Nd:YAG (1,064 nm) laser is considered safe and effective for the treatment of unwanted hair in dark-skinned persons. It is considered to be superior to other methods of hair removal. The Nd:YAG laser has been shown to yield a high rate of satisfaction in terms of hair reduction.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Laser Hair Removal for African American Skin

Laser hair removal can be very safe and effective on African Amarican Skin, provided the right laser is used with the correct setting. In  y Raleigh NC laser center, we use the Gantleyag laser for dark skin types. The results are wonderful. 
Be sure to find a laser center owned and operated by a physician and be sure you have a consultation with a nurse practitioner or PA. Ask about the number of treatments they perform. Once you find a practice you think you can trust, Start with a consultation and complimentary test spot 

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Laser Hair Removal

The only laser you should use is a Nd:YAG laser. We use an Altus Coolglide Excel but there are other manufacturers of Nd:YAG hair removal lasers.

Gregory Herbich, MD
Honolulu Dermatologist

Nd:YAG 1064 laser

The best laser for hair removal in darker skin tones is the Nd:YAG 1064 laser.  Lasers for hair removal target the pigment in the hair follicle.  Because of this, people with darker skin tones can be left with light/white marks if the laser also destroys the pigment in your skin.  The Nd:YAG 1064 laser penetrates deeper therefore avoiding the pigment in the skin. 

The only disadvantage to this laser is that the hair removal doesn't tend to be quite as effective or permanent. 

Please find a board certified dermatologist in your area who has experience with your skin type.