I Am in my Late Teens but I Have Large Scleral Show and Droopy, Thick Eyelids. When Whould I Get Surgery? (photo)

Doctor Answers 3

Upper eyelid ptosis and lower eyelid retraction

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I agree that you should wait till you're at least 18, but if you are in your "Late Teens", that means you are probably already there.

You have upper eyelid ptosis, which makes your upper eyelids seem a bit hollow as well. An upper eyelid ptosis repair, can also improve the hollowness of the upper eyelid below the eyebrow. I have posted a link below to show you an example.

Your inferior scleral show is a sign of lower eyelid retraction that can be very nicely improved with a graft on the inside of the lower eyelid. I have also posted photos of that in my photo gallery in Realself.

Seek an oculoplastic surgeon.

Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 42 reviews

Eyelid problems

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

You should wait until at least 18 years old. You have upper eyelid ptosis (droopy), upper eyelid/brow hollowness, and scleral show. Filler/fat injection in the brow will help with the hollowness. The scleral show is a more difficult problem and there is no easy answer. See an oculoplastic surgeon for evaluation.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 91 reviews

Scleral show

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I would be very conservative, as canthoplasty can leave some visible scarring and symmetry of the lower lids can be a challenge. I would defer surgery for at least 10 years, and then get a couple of opinions from a plastic surgeon and an oculoplastic surgeon. There are different tests to be done in person that would help determine if you are a candidate for surgery, period.

Terry A. Cromwell, MD (retired)
Lafayette Plastic Surgeon

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.