Early 30s female. My skin got darker due to fraxel 1550 laser. Dr recommended laser genesis & Hydroquinone. (photos)

I am a middle eastern female in my early 30. I had fraxel 1550 laser procedure 1 year and half ago, which made my completion dark with irritated red skin, and my acne scars seem deeper. I visited another dermatologist. He suggested laser Genesis to fix the redness and hydroquinone to lighten my skin, but I am hesitant to do through hydroquinone 4% and the laser. I am concerned if hydroquinone 4% causes cancer, and concerned if my skin get darker if I get the 6 session of laser Genesis.

Middle Eastern Skin and Fraxel

If you have a darker complexion than the best treatment would be the Ematrix Laser for your acne scars.  While I love the Fraxel Laser for acne scars, I would defer to the Ematrix Laser by Candela for your skin type.  You will not have the risk of hyper pigmentation and the irritation that you described previously.  Please find a board certified dermatologist with a great deal of experience with lasers for the best cosmetic results.

Hydroquinone has a high safety profile

First, with any treatment there exists the risk of skin darkening, otherwise known as hyperpigmentation. That risk can be lowered by seeking out a cosmetic professional who is well-versed in treating patients with darker skin tones. Secondly, strict use of sunscreen is mandatory between laser sessions to prevent further darkening, which can happen from the sun. Thirdly, hydroquinone has been on the market for decades and has a very high safety profile.

Joshua L. Fox, MD
Long Island Dermatologic Surgeon