In Need of Ear Doctor ASAP, That Specializes in Surfers Ear Surgery?

Had surfers ear since 15, now 40. This summer my ear got infected from the ocean. I have no health insurance. The ear is swelled shut so nothing can dry or heal inside the bone growths have grown so close that my ear cannot heal. This has been incredibly painful for months with some pus pushing through, I can't hear any more out of that ear and my health is in trouble. If I don't get my ear operated on I will get sick. Are there are any doctors that specialize in surfer ear and have bill plans?.

Doctor Answers 3

Treating Surfer's Ear

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Sorry to hear about the painful condition you have been enduring. I'm sure you will be able to find board-certified ENT  surgeons in your area with significant experience helping patients in her situation. Do your due diligence carefully and make your selection of surgeon based on quality of work and reputation, not  solely on financial considerations. A referral from a trusted family doctor may be helpful.  If you are in the Southern California area contact me at for referrals.

 Best wishes.

Surfer's Ear Surgery

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Most board certified ENT docs have training in this issue. Since we see this condition most commonly in cold water surfers, I would simply look for an ENT doc who did his or her training in a residency program located near cold water surfing spots ( for example, from Santa Barbara north along the west coast, or from mid Florida north along the east coast). Once you have compiled a list from your general area, simply start calling offices and see what kind of payment plans are available. Good luck.

Michael R. Menachof, MD
Greenwood Village Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.4 out of 5 stars 28 reviews

Unusual ear condition

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I am not familiar with this condition but my advice would be to seek care at a large university medical center where there are specialists in unusual conditions.  

Jeffrey Zwiren, MD
Atlanta Plastic Surgeon
4.5 out of 5 stars 20 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.