Currently Have Mentor Textured Round Implants, Would Smooth Implants be Good Alternative?

I have Mentor textured round 500cc HP overs but find them to round and too much roundness on upper pole. I like the size however. Which implant could I change to to keep size but have more natural shape? Would smooth implant also make much difference?

Update:  Photo Added

The contour of the breasts will not change with a change from textured to smooth implants.  Placing the implants under the muscle may reduce the superior pole roundness.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of breast augmentations and breast augmentation revisions each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Surface texture will not change the external contour

Changing the surface texture without change to any other aspect of the implant will not change the external contours of a breast augmentation.  Options may change your external profile include alterations to the soft tissue pocket, plane to implant placement, or shape of the implant itself. If your current implants are subglandular, implant revision into the submuscular space might give improved superior pole coverage to better conceal the upper pole curves that you find unpleasant.

Chen Lee, MD
Montreal Plastic Surgeon

Would Smooth Implants be Good Alternative

Photos would have helped visualize the problem. Chances are a switch to smooth implants of the same size and profile would not result in a change in what you don't like.

Options would need to be reviewed with your surgeon who on exam. These include using a moderate plus or moderate profile implant, or using a style 410 anatomic implant, that gives less upper pole fill in many cases as compared with round implants. 

All the best.

Smooth implants are better than texturized.

I see no advantage in using texturized implants is a do not decrease the risk of capsular contracture have a higher failure rate. I seldom use high profile implants can they tend to look artificial even in the absence of capsular contracture. I think you will get a good result with a smooth walled gel prosthesis of the lower profile.

Dear Angela,

Thank you for your post.  Without photos, it is difficult to give you specific advise.  The texture in a textured inplant will not change the shape of the breast.  The smooth and textured implants of the same dimensions will not change your shape.  The pocket disection is more important. You may also try a taller MP+ implant instead of the HP of the same cc's, or you may go to the shaped implants.  This depends a lot on your appearance and dimensions which I don't have access to.  The following photo is of a round textured implant.

Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon