Implants and Underwire Bras?

Ive read differing opinions on whether it's okay to wear underwire bras. I'm having surgery in a febreatw days using the aereola to put implant in. And if you won't know size for a while what are you supposed to wear?

Bra following breast implants

Each surgeon has their own protocol regarding what kind of bra you Amy wear after surgery.  Personally, I have my patients not wear an underwire for one month from the time of surgery, but you should follow the instructions of your own surgeon.

Bra after Breast Augmentation?

You will find that your plastic surgeon will have specific instructions for you in regards to the use of bras and postoperative activities… Most plastic surgeons will utilize soft surgical bras and/or sports bras for several months. I would suggest that you allow for at least 3 to 6 months to pass before you spend money on expensive bras. When the time is right you can be fitted for the appropriate size bra.

Best wishes with your upcoming surgery.

Bra choices after surgery

Thank you for your question. My patients will have a surgical bra that I place at the time of surgery. They normally wear this for the first week or two and then transition to a sports bra that opens in the front. By six weeks, if their implants have sufficiently descended, I let my patients know they can start wearing a normal bra (including a push-up bra). They may still undergo some changes which can change their bra preferences a few months later.

Bra After Breast Augmentation

Dear Jayniesmom,

Care after breast augmentation varies from surgeon to surgeon and depends on a number of factors including the procedure performed, the technique used, and your surgeon's preferences. I would recommend that you follow your surgeon's instructions for best results.

After breast augmentation, I instruct my patients to wear a soft supportive, sports-type bra and to refrain from wearing a pushup or underwire brassiere for at least three months after surgery to allow the implants to settle into proper position.  

Good luck with your procedure.

Warmest wishes,

Larry Fan, MD

Larry Fan, MD

Underwire bra after breast augment

I advise my patients to wear soft, unwired bras for the first few months after surgery. The breasts will be sensitive and the wires can cut into the tissue. Sports bras will give you a good sense of security.

Can I wear an underwire bra after breast augmentation?

For the first 6 months after subpectoral (under muscle) breast augmentation, I recommend that my patients do not wear underwire or push-up bras to allow the implants to "fall" into the bottom of the patient's subpectoral pocket and breast tissue.  The underwire can also rub and/or constrict the breast in a way that is detrimental to this process.

Underwire bra after breast implants?

I generally have patients wait about 6 weeks and then "try" an underwire bra (if they want).  If it does not rub the area raw or cause other problems, then they can buy more.  Immediately after surgery they are in a seamless, non-underwire bra.  At two weeks they can wear a jog bra.  Either way, I want patients to wait at least 2-3 months post op until they buy a bunch of bras as "things settle".  Best of luck to you.

After surgery

Good question, we like our patients to wear camisoles for the first 6 weeks, so the implants drop into their pocket and have a natural look to them. Each Plastic Surgeon has their own idea on how to do things. Make sure you ask your surgeon what instruction he is giving after surgery.

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS (in memoriam)

Post Augmentation Bras

I ask my augmentation patients to wait 6-8 weeks before wearing underwire bras.  I place almost all implants below the muscle and early on want to push down rather than up on the implants to find proper position.  I place all patients in a sports bra for the first few weeks.

John Whitt, MD (retired)