When Will Right Implant Settle After Breast Augmentation and Lift?

I am 3 1/2 months post op from a breast lift and augmentation. My left breast is fabulous but my right one is still very high. I've been massaging but don't see any difference. When should I start getting concerned?

Breast asymmetry

You seem to be in contact with your plastic surgeon and are massaging diligently.

Six months is usually the time when we consider revisions for your problem. This problem, by the way, occurs even in the very best of hands.

Hopefully massage and time will remedy your problem. If not, the surgical solution is usually very straightforward.

Breast Asymmetry

Thanks for the question -

It is difficult to say with 100% certainty but the fact that one implant has settled well and the other has not does raise some concerns.

In addition, the majority of the swelling and settling should be resolved by 4 months.

I would have a conversation with your plastic surgeon.

Steven H. Williams, MD

You will probably need a revision

What you are describing is not uncommon when breast lifts and implants are combined, especially if your implants are gel. Keep massaging on the off chance that it will settle over the next couple of months. I would roughly estimate the chance of your not needing a revision at about 10%. It is far easier to drop an implant down than to raise one that is too low.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Post-operative Implant Asymmetry

It's not unusual for patients who undergo breast augmentation in combination with breast lift surgery to require revisional surgery. When these procedures are performed in combination, a large number of variables need to be addressed to obtain symmetry. For this reason, asymmetry that requires revisional surgery isn't unusual following this type of procedure.

In your case, unilateral superior implant malposition three months after surgery is probably related to asymmetric breast implant pockets. Correction of this problem will require adjustment of the dimensions of the implant pockets. It's appropriate to continue implant massage for the next three months. If the problem is still present after six months, revisional surgery is appropriate.

In the interim, it's important to maintain close contact with your plastic surgeon. Your surgeon should be able to formulate a treatment plan that addresses your concerns.

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Ht Implant Settle After Breast Augmentation and Lift?

Hello! Thank you for your question! You are still early post-procedure. Your appearance looks typical at this stage and will continue to improve as the swelling subsides and the implants continue to settle into their desired position. This usually proceeds over the next several weeks as the lower pole skin/breast stretches to accommodate the implants. Follow-up closely with your surgeon for additional restrictions/instructions and the potential use of bras/garments or massage that may encourage the implant to settle appropriately. If still displaced after this time, a surgical procedure may be necessary to further open the pocket and bring the implant(s) down. Hope that this helps! Best wishes!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Breast too high after 3.5 months

You should be seeing a progressive change of your breast.  If this has stopped and the breast is very different from the other side you may need a revision.  Its certainly possible that the muscle on that side was not completely released at the bottom and the left side was.

Dr Repta

Remus Repta, MD

High riding breast implant

A high breast implant may take up to 6-9 months to settle. However, this can vary by technique and according to the individuals tissues. In your case, I would be less concerned if both implants were high. In my opinion, it is likley that you will need a revision but I  would wait between 6-9 months.

Give it a few more months

Typically implants will settle relatively quickly. I have my patients wear a bra that has a strap to push the implants down. This allows them to settle within 3 weeks. Without that it can take several months.

I recommend trying a bra like this. The capsule isn't mature yet so it may still be of benefit. If no result by six months you may need a revision.

Christopher L. Hess, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

You will likely need a revision

It's difficult to know for sure without examining you, but it sounds like you'll need a revision to help drop that implant down into a better position.  Fortunately, this is usually a straight-forward procedure and should solve the issue.

Good luck!

Shahram Salemy, MD, FACS

Breast augmentation revision is likely needed

You can continue the massage but most probably, you will need a small revision. A small release of the capsule on that side will let the implant drop in place. If there is a tight capsule as well. It could be released at the same time.

Hisham Seify, MD, PhD, FACS