Implant selection on petite bony chested women (photo)

I'm wondering if I'll be able to achieve a natural, proportionate, sloped-breast look with the anatomy of my chest currently. I'm not so much concerned about size as I am shape. I want cleavage and forward facing nipples, however I have a particular bony, and slightly concaved chest already. I am 21, 5'3, 105lbs, 32a, 26" waist, 34" hips. Very lean, limited body fat. I am interested in silicone implants because I'm afraid of saline rippling happening due to my small amount of breast tissue..

Pick an implant that fits your breast

There are two data points that I use when choosing an implant size for my patients....1) The desired volume of the patient 2) breast base diameter. It is important to pick an implant that actually fits and complements your breast size. Beyond that, if you are trying to achieve a more natural slope to your breast, you may be a good candidate for an anatomic (tear-dropped shaped) implant device.

There are styles that will match your frame

and you should consider using external sizers to help you appreciate what volume of implant you desire and let your surgeon pick the style that will fit on your body.  You should have good results and you're right about avoiding saline but gel implants can ripple too, just less then saline.

Curtis Wong, MD

Implant choice

Mid 300 cc size implants would work great and they should be placed under the muscle. You will get a great result.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Implant selection on petite bony chested women

Again this is an over the internet guess/opinion... I would recommend UHP silicones 300 to 350 cc... 

I think that a small to moderate sized silicone implant placed under the muscle is a reasonable idea.

Proportionate breastimplants

From your photos, it appears that you are an excellent candidate for a breast augmentation procedure. Despite your lack of body fat, you have enough tissue to camouflage a silicone implant, but you are correct in assuming the saline devices are inferior. You have mild asymmetry that can be improved as well with this procedure. 

You should see a board certified plastic surgeon in your area to get a formal opinion through and in-person consultation.

Best of luck, Vincent Marin, MD

Vincent P. Marin, MD

Breast augmentation

Thank you for the photos. You should notice the asymmetry between the two breasts and realize that some asymmetry will be present post-op as well, but a nice result can be achieved.  Good luck.

Natural Breast Augmentation Results

If you allow the surgeon to anatomically determine the best implant dimensions for you, you should achieve a relatively natural look with a 'sloped' upper pole of the breast.  Form stable implants, AKA gummy bear implants, are able to give you the most predictable and natural upper poles.

If you become tied to a bra cup size, all bets are off.  In a thin, small breasted woman like yourself, a disproportionately large implant will not look natural or have a gentle upper pole slope.  This is especially true for high profile implants, which are so commonly used in women like yourself.

Although you mention a concave chest and express concern with final nipple position, your photos indicate normal looking anatomy, although one breast is larger than the other.  A true physical exam will help determine if there are any potential anatomical issues that might affect the result of your surgery.  

Visit a few highly regarded cosmetic breast surgeons who are both certified by the ABPS and members of the ASAPS.  Be sure to express your true priority, i.e. natural looking breast shape vs. some goal bra size. I'm sure you can get a very nice result!

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Implant Placement

Because silicone implants look and feel so natural, they have become an implant of choice for many women. Some points to consider regarding this type of breast implant include:
  • Benefits and risks: Silicone implants have a silicone rubber shell that is pre-filled with a certain amount of silicone gel, depending on your desired cup size. Every implant contains a patch covering the implant’s manufacturing port. Silicone implants offer a more natural look and feel, but may or may not be more prone to capsular contracture. 
  • Innovative cohesive gel: Cohesive silicone gel mimics the appearance and feel of real human fat, and thus provide the most natural result. The gel also maintains its shape, so if your breast implant tears or breaks, the gel won't leak out and the breast won't lose all its shape.
  • Safety profile: In the early 1990s there was speculation that silicone breast implants were responsible for connective tissue diseases in certain patients. But after an extensive evaluation, the Institute of Medicine concluded that there was "no definitive evidence linking breast implants to cancer, neurological diseases, neurological problems or other systemic diseases." ISilicone breast implants have an excellent safety profile and have not been shown to increase your risk of breast cancer or systemic disease
It's also important to remember that placing the implant under the muscle will allow for natural-looking results.

Jeremy Z. Williams, MD
Lone Tree Plastic Surgeon

Implant selection on petite bony chested women ?

You certainly have the potential for getting a natural appearing cosmetic improvement of your breasts.

The best cosmetic result in any particular breast augmentation patient depends on a variety of factors, including: your individual anatomy, desired outcome, realistic expectations, a thorough discussion with the plastic surgeon about the options, and an understanding of the pros and cons of any particular implant choice. Proper sizing is not just about the number of cc’s. The thickness of your tissue, breast dimensions which include the width, height, and projection, as well as chest wall width all need to be considered when choosing an implant. Trying on implant “sizers” of various shapes and volumes while wearing a tight t-shirt, bra, or bathing sit at a preoperative visit will help you and your surgeon choose the optimal implant.

Keep in mind that following the exact advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you what to do based on limited 2 dimensional photos without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of each operative procedure would not be in your best interest. I would suggestyou find a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon