What Impact That Would Be on Your Body if You Get Pregnant After 6 Months of Tummy Tuck?

6 months after having a tummy tuck done.

Pregnancy after a

Hi Grace, I have had some patients who were sure about having completed their families prior (which is what i usually counsel prior to a TT) and got pregnant later due to some reason or other. They did just fine. Some did have stretch marks, some loose skin which could be addressed with a minor procedure. Some did not need any correction at all.

I do advise my patients to avoid a pregnancy for at least a year following the procedure.

Pregnancy changes after a tummy tuck.

Women certainly get pregnant after a tummy tuck. The abdomen will expand as it always does, and this is likely to have effects on the results from the original abdominoplasty. Stretch marks may occur, the diastasis of the muscles is likely to recur, and after giving birth, excessive skin and fat may remain. In many cases a revision of the tummy tuck becomes necessary to achieve the pre-pregnancy look again.

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Pregnancy six months after a tummy tuck is possible.

If you get pregnant six months after a tummy tuck you can carry the pregnancy through. The burning question is why you had a tummy tuck in the first place when future pregnancies were a possibility.

What happens if you get pregnant 6months after abdominoplasty?

Dear Grace,

Thank you for your post.  The answer to this is  probably similar to what happened the first time you were pregnant.  Your belly skin will gradually expand.   If you got stretch marks the first time or are predisposed to getting stretch marks if never pregnant before, then you will get them again.  You will have tissue laxity again and most likely need a revision abdominoplasty afterward.  However, the important thing is that you have a healthy pregnancy and birth.  Follow up with your OB for peri-natal care.

Best Wishes,

Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Pregnant 6 months post tummy

There really is no set answer.Pray for a healthy baby and see what happens.Yoiur abdomen will expand and there really is nothing to do.Hopefully you will regain most of your shape.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Pregnancy after an abdominoplasty

I have had patients who have had a pregnancy after an abdominoplasty and do just fine with the pregnancy and only needed a minor revision afterwards.  I have also had patients who needed a major revision after pregnancy so the answer is we just do not know.  

Dont worry too much

i always say to my patients tummy tuck is a procedure when there is no plan for another baby. after a tummy tuck i dont recommend pregnancy during the first two years . i suggest you to follow your pregancy very close. most of the time there is no problem about it. 

Ramon Sabala, MD

Another pregnancy may necessitate another tummy tuck or a revision of the tummy tuck.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Pregnancy after TT

This happens from time to time, sometimes intentionally, usually not. The abdomen has a huge capacity to stretch out to accommodate a pregnancy (or weight gain), and there should be little or no risk to the pregnancy. However, the tissues will stretch and may or may not shrink back down, and another tummy tuck may be in the cards.

All the best.