Marionette lines. When will be the right time to have fillers? (Photo)

5 weeks since face, neck, brow lift and chin implant tomorrow. I don't like to see marionette lines coming back! Still swelling on the lower part of my cheeks and chin as you can see. When will be the right time to have fillings on my marionette lines?

Wait to use fillers after a facelift until all swelling has subsided.

Anticipating further changes as the weeks pass I would suggest you not use filler until healing is complete.

When to have filler after face lift

Thank you for your question about your face lift.

1. Your surgeon is the best person to advise you as to the timing of these treatments.
  2. I prefer Juvederm, if needed, to fat injections in the first 6 months after surgery.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes.

Marionette Lines after Facelift

The best time to fill your marionette lines is when the swelling no longer prevents an accurate assessment or treatment of the area. Your surgeon is the best person by far to make this determination. If your surgeon does not perform fat or filler injections, you can still seek their advice about the timing of marionette line treatment.

Brock Ridenour, MD
Saint Louis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Marionette lines

After getting a facelift you would like to wait about a month to let the swelling go down.
Second option would be to get a fat transfer to the face at the same time as your facelift, speake to surgeon to see if you are a good candidate.

Edward E. Dickerson, IV, MD
Fayetteville Facial Plastic Surgeon

With marionette lines, when would be the right time to have fillers?

At the time of your question, you had a facelift five weeks ago. There is still going to be swelling in the face at this time. I would recommend approximately six to eight weeks after the facelift to proceed with fillers to fill in marionette lines.

Fillers after facelift

I would suggest reaching out to your surgeon or his/her clinical team for guidance.  There are certainly options, however, since your surgeon had the benefit of seeing pre and postop, he/she should be able to guide you in the right direction to reach optimum results.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Timing to treat marionette lines with dermal filler

If your surgeon performs the treatment, then he or she may be able to do the treatment at this point as he or she knows the specifics of you, the surgery, and your appearance prior to surgery. If the injector is not your surgeon, wait until you are more healed.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Fillers after a facelift

I would suggest you wait a full two months after the surgery to allow the swelling to go down. If you inject it now and the swelling goes down the filler may look over-filled.

Julio Garcia, MD

Marionette lines

At five weeks postop, there may be some swelling present still. Before having filler injected, consider waiting a little longer and let yourself heal some more. You can discuss these issues with your surgeon who may be the best person to inject for you.

Suzanne Kim Doud Galli, MD, PhD, FACS
Washington Facial Plastic Surgeon

Marionette lines following face, browlift and chin implant.

Hi Laly59:

Thanks for the photo! 

Most facelifts are rarely able to lift the soft tissue and skin wave which creates the "marionette fold" particularly by the corner of the mouth. In my hands, a high SMAS lift and / or fat grafting at the time of facelift or later, help. Once the fold becomes longer lasting, the lines due to dermal collagen loss become more permanent.

Some of the fullness lost in the lower face maybe made up by the chin implant depending on its length and volume. 

Once the implant has settled and all of the facial tissue swelling has mostly resolved would be the best time to consider dermal filler injections or deeper volume injections (caring not to injure or carry infection to the chin implant at 3 to 6 months. 

Discuss these concerns with your surgeon. All the best!

Dean P. Kane, MD, FACS