Can an incision open after 4 weeks?

I had a breast lift 4 weeks ago and tonight the knot at the end of my incision got snagged on my sports bra and came off. I'm scared that the incision will open.

#breastlift #mastopexy #plasticsurgery

Hello jennpardo, Congratulations on your recent surgery and thank you for sharing your question about your post operative recovery and results after your surgery.  Final results can take up to 12 months for all the swelling to subside.  At our office here at CARE we actually see all of our surgery patients the very next day after surgery and then again at two weeks and beyond. We enjoy staying closely connected to our patients and enjoy giving the extra attention and service.  Your concerns are important to discuss directly with your board certified plastic surgeon.  He or she will appreciate the open communication and will want to help you. I hope this is helpful and wish you all the very best.  Sincerely, Brian S. Coan, MD, FACS
CARE Plastic Surgery

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift - suture came out!

Thank you for asking about your breast lift.

At four weeks, your body has healed well and there should be nothing to fear. it is wise to report this to your surgeon however so s/he knows how things are going.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Open incision 4 weeks post op

I would not worry about the incision opening up.Many times you may spit a suture and you think the incision is opening up but rest assured all will be well.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Concerned about your incision

At four weeks, it is not likely that your wound would open, as most of the wound would have developed the necessary connections to stay closed by that time.  

Allen M. Doezie, MD

Incision at 4 weeks

It is unlikely that after 4 weeks an incision might open up.  If concerned, best to see your surgeon.  

Breast Augmentation Recovery

Sounds like you may have a stitch knot working out of the skin. This should still heal ok but may leave a dot in your scar. Check with your plastic surgeon to make sure everything is ok.

Can an incision open after 4 weeks?

Incision can open after 4 weeks but it is rare. Check with your own plastic surgeon for recommendations.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Incision question

It would be highly unlikely for the incision to open four weeks out from your surgery but probably best to touch base with your surgeon to be sure.

Paul Buhrer, MD
Annapolis Plastic Surgeon

Can an Incision Open?

At 4 weeks, it's possible that the incision can come open, however it's HIGHLY UNLIKELY that it will happen.  Your incisions should be very much healed at this point.  I would contact your doctor to discuss it, though.

Dr. Dan Krochmal

MAE Plastic Surgery

Northbrook, IL

Daniel Krochmal, MD
Chicago General Surgeon