I need other doctor's advice on after care recommendations for Breast Augmentation.

I am exactly 2 weeks post op for my BA. I have not had a single complication. But at my 1st apt at 2 weeks out my dr is releasing me back to work in a factory with a 20 lb restriction for only 2 weeks and has released me to wear normal bras just no underwire but yet I am not released for any exercise still until after another 4 weeks. I feel I have had the worst care by this dr and paid a lot of money to have them ruined.

Recovery after breast augmentation

After breast implant surgery, I advise the patients to take one week off from work.  At that point we take out their stitches and teach them the implant massage technique.  We suggest 5 times per day with the massage and no bra for one month.  The patients may return to work, but may not engage in any strenuous activity.  At one month, the patients start to wear a soft cup bra with no underwire and can start low impact cardio.  At two months they can wear an underwire bra and engage in more strenuous physical activity.  Breast massage continues forever, although only once per day.

You are being hard on your dr, i think

different drs have different philosophies. i did a BA on a close friend of mine and she did a half Ironman only 5 weeks after her BA (that is a 1.2 mile swim, 56 mile bike ride and a 13 mile run) and she had a good time. It is harder than most people, including surgeons, to really damage a BA. i let my patients begin exercising (no bouncing but they can drive their heart rate up eg spin class or leg weights) after 7-10 days. Many of my patients begin running at around 2 weeks. I let my patients wear whatever bra is most comfortable for them, a week after a BA (assuming it was not a vertical lift).I am not sure if you think you dr is being too strict or not strict enough?I am more liberal than he is but he is not out of the norm of what most surgeons would say.relax and enjoy your BA.
david berman md

David E. Berman, MD
Sterling Plastic Surgeon

Postop Instructions

Your question is puzzling to me.  You state you have not had a single complication and you apparently aren't unhappy with your result.  You make reference to bad care by your doctor but don't explain what you are referring to.  Why are you unwilling to follow the recommendations of your surgeon who has given you a very nice result?  And why are you willing to follow the recommendations of surgeons online who you have never met and have never taken care of you?  My suggestion: listen to your surgeon.  If you have questions about his/her recommendations then ask for clarification.

Richard Kofkoff, MD, FACS
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Wait for some time

The final appearance, shape, and movement are not exactly the same as normal breasts. The surgically enlarged breasts do not move in the same way as normal breasts. They tend to be firmer. The contours are usually somewhat different than normal breasts. In some patients these discrepancies may be rather noticeable. Although every effort is made to place the implants symmetrically, complete symmetry is rarely achieved. Immediately after surgery, the breasts are swollen and firmer. The final shape and size is approximated after 2 to 3 months, but up to one year may be required for the end result.

•  Tweet

Are my proposed activity restrictions ok at two after breast augmentation?

Most patients are able to return to work by two weeks after breast augmentation, often sooner.  If your plastic surgeon feels the work you do at the factory  will not adversely affect your results, then you should be ok with returning to work.  Exercise restrictions will vary depending upon what you want to do.  By two weeks, your bra choice should not matter as long as the garment does not rub on your incisions. 

John Zavell, MD, FACS
Toledo Plastic Surgeon

Care after breast augmentation

I think many instances can be found of doctors over excessive restrictions after breast augmentation. Your doctor seems to have given you excellent recommendations for early healing after augmentation. Well-placed implants often don't require a bra and I recommend to my patients that they returned to work at 5 to 7 days without restrictions. They will definitely be sore but I am not concerned with this affecting the surgery and final outcome. Many of my patients return to exercising at about one week.

Ira H. Rex lll, MD
Fall River Plastic Surgeon

Return to activity

Thank you for your question, and I wish you a continued speedy recovery. The recovery after BA surgery varies widely from patient to patient as well as their level of discomfort during this time. Generally, the first 4-7 days are reserved for rest and overall recovery, and after that patients can slowly work their way back with gradual low risk activities. I prefer to wait at least 4-6 weeks for repetitive upper body lifting/movements and arm use so that the muscles, skin incisions and breast tissues have had adequate time to heal and settle before being stressed. The recovery routine will best be determined by your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon so be sure to touch base with him/her on their specific recommendations.  Benjamin J. Cousins MD  Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Benjamin J. Cousins, MD
Miami Beach Plastic Surgeon

Post Op Instructions

I'm not clear on what exactly you have an issue with but the advice you've been given and care so far does not sound problematic. Each Plastic Surgeon has their own preferred protocols regarding post op activity restrictions and bras. I advise my patients to avoid heavy lifting for 6 weeks, but most return to work around 1 week post op. I advise no underwire for 8 weeks post op. Some plastic surgeons have no bra preference.
I recommend that you follow your Plastic Surgeon's instructions as they know your care the best and report any problems.
All the best

Other Doctor's Advice

It sounds like your surgeon has done well so far, with a complication-free recovery up to this point.  Your doctor probably feels that you have done so well that you are now cleared for more activity.  Different doctors have different protocols for a return to activity, and yours sounds confident that you are ready for that increased activity.  If you don't feel ready for increased activity, that's completely up to you.  You can choose to take things more slowly if you'd like (not sure about the specifics of the actual return to work date, though).  Congratulations on your breast augmentation!

Dr. Dan Krochmal
MAE Plastic Surgery
Northbrook, IL

Daniel Krochmal, MD
Chicago General Surgeon

Recovery

Everybody recovers at different rates if you feel you are not ready to return to work perhaps you should discuss your concerns with your surgeon. Other than being sore, many patients are able to get back to work after two weeks 

David R. Alfonso, MD, FACS
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon