Bra Size Post Surgery?

Not sure what size no wire zip up sports bra to get. Nurse at ps office said to get a few different sizes...32 34, 36. So I got those in a D cup. They all see too be a little snug when I tried them on, I can't imagine how tight they will be post surgery when they are swollen!?

Bra size

initially, a bra appropriate for your post-augmention size will be too tight. I would recommend that your surgeon provide a bra for the immediate post surgical period. Within a few weeks, swelling will subside and you can more precisely fit a long term bra. Often it's a good idea to purchase a few inexpensive front clasping bras for the first month or so after surgery

Post Op Bras

If a bra fits you too tightly pre op, then it will most likely feel much too tight for roughly 2 weeks post op. As well, sports bras which pull over the head are a bad idea directly post op. If your surgeon recommends that you supply your own bras, I suggest that you have at least one handy which is roomier.
All the best

Bra size after surgery

Excellent question.  Typically your plastic surgeon will provide a garment for you to wear in the immediate postoperative (1-2 week) period.  Estimating what bra to wear thereafter depends on your particular anatomy and the implant size that is being used.  I advise my patients to get a cheaper sports bar in a couple sizes (generally the same chest width to one size up in chest width and a account for an increase in cup size based on the goals you discussed with your surgeon) and keep the tags so you can return the one(s) that don't fit.  Particularly for under-the-breast incisions, I ask patients to avoid underwire bras for at least 4 weeks postoperatively.   I also ask my patients to hold off on spending too much on bras until at least 3 months at which time the swelling will have resolved and most implants have settled.   Be sure to communicate your concerns with your chosen surgeon and good luck!

Postsurgical bra size?

In my office we provide a surgical bra to each patient that is fitted at the time and conclusion of the surgery.  It is important to avoid an underwire bra in most cases.  One would need to know your current bra size and cup, and the size of the implant being placed to even semi-accurately guess an appropriate fit for you after surgery.  If you are a 32 consider buying a 34 temporarily in a cup size that matches your goal and this may estimate a proper fit for you after surgery.  Getting a couple of sports bras within the size range would be a good idea as a backup.  Good luck and enjoy the results of your procedure.
Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
Beverly Hills, California

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Bra Size Post Surgery?

Thank you for your question and congratulations on your upcoming surgery!  If your surgeon can not supply you with a bra garment I would recommend selecting a series of sports bras that have a wide band around the chest while cradling your implants/breast tissue.  Once your surgery is over and the swelling has set in you will have a better idea on sizing.  Hope this helps.

What size post op bra do I need?

Thank you for your question.  I advise my patients to keep the tags on all of them and get 3 different sizes.  It is difficult to know how much swelling you will have after surgery.   The bra does need to be supportive and snug.  You don't want your breasts to move when wearing it.  

Chad Robbins, MD

Not sure what size bra to get.

It can be difficult to know what will fit and be comfortable after breast augmentation. Our preference is to supply the bra needed and take this worry off your hands. Without this help you have done the next best thing, buy several to you have one that will work for you.

Bra Size Post Surgery?

There is no “standard” when it comes to the use of specific bras or garments after breast surgery. In other words, different plastic surgeons may have different practices when it comes to postoperative dressings/bras. Therefore, best to check with your plastic surgeon.   
For example, in my practice, patients wake up with a surgical bra in place.  This surgical bra,  although not attractive, is supportive and used for about one month after surgery (some of my patients have been known to burn the bra ASAP). Then, patients transition to a soft sports bra. Wired bras are used when breast implants have reached their “final position” and patients have full sensation along the breast skin.   Best wishes.

Post size

Hello, have to defer to your PS recommendations. Typically, for a breast aug...I don't use a bra at all for the first week or so. After the first week. The patients have an option to go braless until they settle or get a loose bra of their choice. After things are settled, I put them in an underwire bra of their choice.