Will this tummy tuck wound heal on its own? (Photo)

I am 2 mos post op from a TT with revision due to an area that wasn't healing. I'm concerned about my wound healing. My doctor says he doesn't want me to have another sx, however the skin doesn't appear to be coming together but actually more tight & curling inward. My wound vac has been gone for a week and we are at wet/dry dressing with my next appt in 3 weeks. Concerned that he states it'll close on its own as opposed to him grafting me or if it'll actually come together. Will it heal??

Wound will heal

Hello and thank you for posting photos along with your question. Watching wounds heal is like watching grass grow!! Its a slow and steady process. When you see the wound everyday it is hard to tell the improvement/reduction in wound size because you see it everyday. Your wound appears to have healthy, red tissue which is a good thing. It appears that your wound is healing and decreasing in size! It will take time and as long as the wound stays clean and you are doing the appropriate dressing changes it appears that your wound will heal up completely. New skin will grow from the sides of the wound and will start to make its way to the opposite edges of the wound. After the wound is healed and enough time has passed, some type of revision of this area may be able to be done. Hang in there!

Ankur Mehta MD

Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon

Wound healing problem from tummy tuck

Sorry for your struggles, but I do think your wound is healing appropriately.  Once it is healed, leave everything alone for at least 6 months and then explore the quality of the result and scar.  Good Luck.  

Incisions and Scars Healing After TT and Revision

Scars may widen or continue to be red and elevated.  These may require laser treatment or injection with kenalog and 5-FU.  Excision and reclosure may help some scars. Other treatments are available as well.

It may take several months for a tummy tuck patient’s scars to soften, for sensation to return, and for relaxing of the tight sensation in the abdomen. In the case of extensive surgery, abdominoplasty recovery can be uncomfortable and may take longer. Scars may stay red, become thick or widen. It can take 12-18 months for the scars to settle.

These can be improved with topical treatments such as BioCorneum, Scar Guard, Scar Fade and Mederma. Redness can be improved with laser treatments and the scars can be kept narrow with products such as Embrace.  On occasion, keloids or hypertrophic scars can develop and will need treatment including Kenalog, 5FU and laser.

The beset thing to do at any point when you find yourself concerned with the healing of your incision or scars it would be best to visit your surgeon personally to have the area examined for proper healing.

This wound should heal nicely it has excellent granulation tissue.  I know it seems like it takes forever, it will help up from the deep tissue before it starts to heal in.  I promise it will look better than you think. Hang in there, Jane. 

Wound will heal

You have a healing wound that will come together on its own without further surgery.   Then let all rest for 6 months before you consider revision.   My Best,   Dr Commons

Will this tummy tuck wound heal on its own?

This will heal, just takes time. A revision can be done later if needed. Work with your plastic surgeon.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS