Had "smart lipo" to remove gynecomastia 8 years ago; it has returned, but the doc has retired. What should I do?

The doc ensured me at the time it would take care of gynecomastia without excision, so it's been disappointing to spend so much money and have the problem persist over the years.

Finding Another Surgeon

Hello, and thank you for your question. I definitely agree with the others in deciding carefully and making sure that you will receive information on surgery that will provide lasting results and support from your surgeon. There is no limit to the consultations you can attend before making a final decision, so I wish you the best of luck in finding another surgeon to provide appropriate results.

Smart lipo does not remove real gynecomastia ( definitely)

How should I choose a surgeon?
Choose carefully. The decision is yours. Advice to assist in making your selection.Only a board certified plastic surgeon
1. Experience matters. Choosing a surgeon increases the likelihood that they have seen a case similar to yours in the past. Selecting a surgeon whose practice is focused on gynecomastia exclusively is also an indicator of experience.
2. Results matter. The more before-and-after pictures, the better. Pay attention whether the surgeon is confident enough to show multiple angles of the same patient.
3.Only gynecomastia Reviews matter.
4. Expertise matters. Is your surgeon recognized by the profession as an authority in the field? Have they authored books or medical journal articles regarding your surgery?
Be realistic about your expectations. Also, revision surgery tends to be significantly more difficult than initial surgery.So be extremely careful choosing the right Plastic Surgeon at the beginning.

Mordcai Blau, MD

Now get the real surgery

You wrongly expected smart lipo to take care of your gynecomastia. Now have a real surgery. See a plastic surgeon and have it removed, they way it should have been done eight years ago.

Vasdev Rai, MD

Consult needed

If your initial result was satisfactory, it is concerning that the problem returned.  Many factors influence male breast size including weight gain, medications / certain drugs, and hormone status.  A complete history and physical exam is needed to evaluate your concern.  Seek consultation from a board certified plastic surgeon in which all of these factors are considered before having revisionary surgery.

I am sorry to hear of your disappointment following gynecomastia surgery 8 years ago, but if there is retained glandular tissue you most likely will require revision surgery with a combination of direct glandular excision and liposuction for contouring.  Be sure to see a board certified plastic surgeon in consultation. 

Gynecomastia Revision

sorry to hear your Gynecomastia returned. A second procedure will be necessary to remove the plug of tissue behind your areola and decrease your chest volume and feminine appearance.

David Shifrin, MD