What is the best way to remove black flat facial mole with least scarring? (photos)

Cosmetic Mole Removal -- SEE AN EXPERT Dermatologic Surgeon

Please be evaluated by a dermatologist this can be removed by excision or laser.           Best, Dr. Emer.

Removal of facial mole

Thank you for your question.  The mole you have currently looks normal.  However, if it has changed or bothers you in any way it would be a good idea to biopsy it.  If the mole does not need to be removed it would be best to leave it alone.  Moles are considered beauty marks and scars are not.  After the mole has been removed you cannot take back the scar. 

If you decide to move forward with removal of the mole, I would recommend a punch biopsy.  With this technique the skin is numbed with lidocaine, the mole is removed with a small cookie-cutter like device, and the wound is closed with sutures that are removed in 5-7 days.  It would be best to avoid the sun and wear sunscreen to prevent the scar from being pigmented.  The area will be pink for about 4 months and slowly fade to a more natural skin color.  I wish you the best!

Lisa Zaleski-Larsen, DO, FAAD
San Diego Dermatologist