Hollows under eyes and loss of volume in cheeks. (photo)

I'm 54 yo and starting to notice significant changes but don't want surgery. I am starting to look so tired with the darkness/veins under the eyes, hollowness under the eyes, sunken cheeks and loose skin. I understand the importance of finding a very qualified Doctor. I am in the western suburbs of Chicago and really need help finding someone that is an expert and would do a great and natural job. I'd prefer not to go downtown Chicago if possible. What treatments would you suggest?

Doctor Answers 8

Hollowing and Loss of Volume

Hello, i would recommend setting up a consultation with an oculoplastic surgeon to go over non-surgical filler options. Best of luck!

Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 104 reviews

Injectable Fillers such as Juvederm Voluma

Hello, It sounds like a good treatment for you to consider would be a long-lasting filler that will help to restore a more youthful look. Juvederm Voluma works by restoring hyaluronic acid (or HA) to the tissue in the face. HA occurs naturally in our skin, helping to provide strength and structure. As we age, the amount of HA in our skin diminishes, causing wrinkles, saggy skin, and volume loss. This process can be combated in the mid-face area using Voluma.

Alice Chiang, MD
Santa Rosa Ophthalmologist
5.0 out of 5 stars 1 review

Non surgical options

A good option for you would be fillers.  They can be used to plump areas that have thinned over time and help give better contour to various areas of the face.  Laser treatments and quality medical grade products are also a good idea to help give the skin a healthy, youthful glow.  Seek an experienced injector for a consultation.  

Camille Cash, MD
Houston Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 33 reviews

Undereye Hollowing

You're in luck. Most of your concerns can be corrected by non-surgical means. With that said, you still need to seek out a practitioner that has extensive experience in treating the eye area. Fat injections will be a more permanent fix than dermal fillers, but again, be very selective on who you choose. You may also want to consider volume restoration to the face since it is the sagging skin and loss of elasticity that is adding to the undereye hollowing.

Gilbert Lee, MD
San Diego Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 23 reviews

Tear troughs filler

thank you for your question and photos. You would benefit from filler in the tear troughs and cheeks for a more youthful appearance. Good luck. 

Jeffrey Jumaily, MD
Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 11 reviews

Eye Rejuvenation

Thank you for your question. You may be a good candidate for injectable dermal fillers which can improve volume loss in the cheeks and hollowness under the eyes. It is difficult to determine your candidacy in the photograph because you are smiling so I would suggest an in person consultation. An experienced injector is key for example we are in the top 2% for volume of injectables through Allergan the makers of Botox and Juvederm and have national trainers on staff. We also offer a variety of other eye rejuvenation treatments such as lasers and peels which also benefit many as well looking for eye rejuvenation. Best wishes. 

Kathleen Morno, MD
Highland Park Physician
5.0 out of 5 stars 1 review

Under Eye Rejuvenation with lasers, microneedling/prp, Sculptra

A combination approach would be best. Fillers, lasers, and microneedling/PRP can improve under eye hollows. I also recommend Sculptra for collagen building. We also use PRP and stem cells often. I suggest consulting with an expert to develop a treatment plan best suited for your short and long term goals. Don't let distance dissuade you, see an expert. Best, Dr. Emer.

Jason Emer, MD
Los Angeles Dermatologic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 196 reviews

The under eye area is beautifully managed with hyaluronic acid fillers.

I appreciate that you do not what to travel from the suburbs to the downtown for this type of service.  Here is a dirty secret: I see large numbers of folks from Chicago who fly into Los Angeles for their Botox and Filler services.  That tells me that is very challenging to get reasonable service in Chicago.  It should not be that way but you are basically asking the injector to sculpt the face.  Artistry is unfortunately not taught in medical school, residency or fellowships.  These are fussy services so shop carefully.  You do not need surgery for these issues.

Kenneth D. Steinsapir, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 26 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.