I'm confused if I need a tummy tuck or lipo. I'm "5"9 197lbs. I need to be lead the right way with reasonable prices. (photos)

Looking at my pics. What do you suggest?

Abdominoplasty

Abdominoplasty would seem to be the answer. You have drooping of the tissue over the hair bearing area and that makes me believe you have extra skin that needs to be removed. However you do not seem to have many stretch marks and likely have young healthy skin therefore if you lost a significant amount of weight first you may potentially be able  to do life with suction alone. However, that would require a significant amount of weight loss first. I would suggest seeing a board-certified plastic surgeon in your area who can also do it and examination and determine if you need muscle repair as well. 

Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck better than lipo when there is excess skin

From what I see in the pictures, liposuction would deflate the skin of the abdomen leaving it sagging. So you would be thinner but substitute one problem for another. Go for the full tummy tuck.

Richard Baxter, MD

Best advice for you is a two part approach

For best outcome from any undertaking you need to loose at least 30 pounds in weight. After that you will need full abdominoplasty with liposuction of your flanks.

Vasdev Rai, MD

I'm confused if I need a tummy tuck or lipo. I'm "5"9 197lbs. I need to be lead the right way with reasonable prices

I think you are a better candidate for both procedures, done in a staged fashion. I would suggest liposuction first followed 6 months later by a tummy tuck. In the meantime some weight loss would also go a long way to giving you a new contour to your torso.

Julio Garcia, MD

Dr Derby

Thank you for your question and the photos. You seem like a good candidate for a full TT combined wih lipo.It is important to get the weight done more before surgery. Best of luck  

Derby Sang Caputo, MD

Lipo vs tummy tuck

First and foremost is safety.  As a general rule, patients are encouraged to have a BMI closer to 30 (BMI takes into account height and weight).  This is not to punish patients.  Rather, we know that patients with BMI > 30 have increased risk of complications including infections, wound problems, among others.  Once you have achieved your goal weight and have remained there for 3-6 months, you would be a candidate for surgery.  In your case, that most likely would be a tummy tuck to address excess abdominal skin.  As far as the costs, this will vary based on geography, surgeon, and facility/anesthesia.  Seek out several opinions from board certified plastic surgeons.  Good luck!

Tummy Tuck/Abdominoplasty/Liposuction/Vaser High Definition Procedures/Tummy Tuck Revision

I appreciate your question. For health and safety reasons, best to be at a BMI less than 30 or within 10 pounds of your goal weight and stable at that weight for 6 months prior to surgery for optimal results prior to undergoing elective surgery.
The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery. Best of luck! Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon #RealSelfCORESurgeon

Body contouring has several options

Thanks for your question and the photos. You appear to have a lot of subcutaneous fat that is amenable to liposuction. It also appears on the photo like you have a lot of visceral fat that is inside the abdomen and around you stomach, colon etc. This is not accessible to surgery and only weight loss can affect this. I don't think you will get the result you want at your current weight. The body contouring, whether it is liposuction or TT won't result in weight loss. Combining TT and lipo will ultimately give you the best contour. Use the Smart Beauty Guide to help find a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon in your area that is an ASAPS member and specializes in cosmetic body contouring surgery. Best of Luck!

M. Scott Haydon, MD

#abdominoplasty

based on the limited information obtained from your posted pictures, you will need an abdominoplasty, due to the fact that you have excess skin.It will be in your best interest to be as close as possible to your ideal weight goal, before the surgery is performed.Be sure to seek the advise of a plastic surgeon member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons, to be sure of their proper training in plastic surgery

Victor M. Perez, MD, FACS
Kansas City Plastic Surgeon