Collapsed nasal valve and other irregularities? (Photos)

Hi. I recently had a rhinoplasty/septoplasty about 5 months ago. The left side of my nose caves inward. I assume this is a collapsed nasal valve? This has been present ever since I took off my cast. As swelling has gone down it has become more apparent AND a new irregularity has shown itself on the right side of my nose. This one pushes outward and seems hard like bone. What is all of this? I see my plastic surgeon in a few days. Thank you!

Collapsed Nasal Valve

The picture shows that you do have a collapsed nasal valve and deviation of your septum. A revision to straighten your nose a place a spreader graft to improve both symmetry and probable nasal obstruction will be necessary.

Rhinoplasty

Hello and thank you for your question.  I agree with you that you should return to your primary surgeon and share your concerns.   Based on your photograph, you may benefit from spreader grafts to help with this problem.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Revision rhinoplasty candidate for collapsed nasal valve

The Photographs appear to have bony dorsal irregularity on the patient's right side, and a concave upper lateral cartilage on the patient's left side.  Both of these issues can be addressed at 1 year with a revision rhinoplasty.  The dorsal hump can be filed  down with a rasp.  A cartilaginous spreader graft is required to be placed underneath the concave upper lateral cartilage in the midportion of the nose to accomplish straightening it.  For more information  and many examples of spreader graft placement for the crooked nose, please see the link and the video below