What would you recommend for African American Rhinoplasty? (photo)

Hey so I've been researching for a while now and I decided I want to go through with getting rhinoplasty but idk exactly what i need. I dont really think I need the alar base surgery because I think it may make my nostrils like weird... Well maybe i could get it... but I want a more defined nose that doesnt look pinched and still has ethnic features. Ive included a pic so what do u guys suggest?? And who would u recommend for the type of nose I have because it doesnt really have much definition at all

African-American Rhinoplasty

It is impossible to give accurate information on any rhinoplasty from just one picture that does not even include the full face. For more useful answers what you need is to submit a ore complete series of pictures of your nose from different angles to plastic surgeons of your choice. Wile there are many consistent characteristics of African-American noses that can be changed, each nose is unique and not everyone needs the exact same procedure.

What would you recommend for African American Rhinoplasty?

Although it is difficult to give advice based upon the single photo, I think that rhinoplasty to refine the tip, bridge, and alar base as you have suggested is reasonable to improve facial balance. The key is find a surgeon who generates natural results that enhance your appearance.

The appearance of your nose can be improved with an artistically performed rhinoplasty. What would be the best option and exact procedure would depend on an examination and discussion about desired outcome.

Keep in mind that following advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you exactly what to do based on two dimensional photos without examining you, physically feeling your tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history and discussing the pros and cons of the operative procedure would not be in your best interest. Natural appearing results need to be individualized and what is appropriate for one patient is not necessarily the best for someone else. I would suggest that you find a surgeon with extensive ethnic rhinoplasty experience certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and one who is ideally a member of The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) or a facial plastic surgeon(otolaryngologist) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person. Fees vary depending on the extent of the procedure, location of the surgical practice, and experience as well as the reputation of the surgeon.

Robert Singer, M.D., FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

African American rhinoplasty

A full set of facial pictures for all 5 angles  are required to give  a meaningful opinion. African American  Noses tend to have wide nostrils,  a wide bridge and a wide tip and thick skin. The thick  skin will be an impediment to seeing a very refined result of the tip of the nose. The bridge of the nose can be narrowed  with osteotomies, the height of the bridge can be augmented with a cartilage graft, the tip of the nose can be narrowed with a tip-plasty and  an alar-plasty is required to narrow wide nostrils.

African American Rhinoplasty

I think your expectations are quite reasonable. It is possible to define the shape of the nasal tip while preserving a look that is in keeping with the origin and 'ethnicity' of your nose.  I do think you would benefit from some narrowing and projection of the nasal tip, with or without a conservative alar base reduction. It may also be helpful to raise the bridge of your nose, although it is not clear from the photo provided .  Find an experienced board certified plastic surgeon or facial plastic surgeon that will listen carefully to your concerns. Computer imaging may help you communicate more effectively with your surgeon. Best wishes.

Brock Ridenour, MD
Saint Louis Facial Plastic Surgeon

African American Rhinoplasty

The African American nose has several features that contribute to the typical ethnic look. These include:

1) Widened nasal ala 
2) Underprojection of the nose
3) Low nasal dorsum with widened nasal bones

It seems like you have the first two features, however from the photo it is difficult to determine how low of a nasal dorsum or bridge that you have. You would likely require a cartilage graft to add nasal tip support and help project your nose further from your face. After this is accomplished the nostrils can be reassessed intraoperatively and it will likely be determined that you will need alar wedge excisions to narrow your nostrils. Occasionally some dorsal augmentation is performed to add a more defined nasal bridge, without compromising the overall ethnic look of the nose. Make sure you explore a facial plastic surgeon that specializes in rhinoplasty. Best of luck to you.

Michael T. Somenek, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Better photos with full face frontal and side views would be useful.  An office examination is the best way to find out.  You may need tip projection/elevation and definition, narrowing of the base (nostrils) and possibly some height on the bridge.  Seek a board certified plastic surgeon with expertise in rhinoplasty, especially ethnic rhinoplasty.

Elias G. Gikas, MD

A good place to start is with an exam by a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, certified by the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS) to discuss your concerns.  Seek a surgeon who is highly experienced in African American Rhinoplasty surgery.  Best wishes!

Robert E. Zaworski, MD