Is asymmetric pain and swelling 8 days post breast augmentation normal? (photos)

I am currently eight days post op. My left breast seems to be healing nicely; decreased swelling, soft when palpated and painless. My right breast on the other hand is still very swollen at the top, has a very sharp pain on the side that extends to my armpit and feels much more firm. No significant bruising on either side. I have visited my plastic surgeon 1day postop and 7days postop and he did not seem concerned but also shooed me out quite quickly. Any advice would be appreciated.

Is asymmetric pain and swelling 8 days post breast augmentation normal?

You are going to see the difference just after the procedure. However it is necessary to wait for some time in order to see the final result. After the breast augmentation operation the recovery period depends on your physical status, age, general health and condition mainly. The operation itself does not take too long therefore you receive a mild anesthesia. Since the anesthesia that you receive is mild; you will not have problems associated with anesthetic agents after the operation. This is especially important and can be achieved with only a team of plastic surgeons like we have. After the operation you will be advised to wear a corset in order to reduce the edema. You can start to do your daily activities just after the operations but we do not advise you heavy lifting, running or activities that require excess physical activity. The more you rest, the faster your recovery will be.

Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Asymmetric pain

Yes, asymmetric pain is quite common. Keep an eye on things and if the pain does not improve or gets worse then see your surgeon. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry.
My best,
Dr. Sheila Nazarian
@drsheilanazarian on Instagram

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

I appreciate your question.

Since there has been a change in your post op course, please contact your surgeon so he/she can examine you and recommend the most appropriate treatment plan at this time.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

Breast asymmetry

You seem to have a significant asymmetry with your right breast being bigger than your left. If this has developed over time or there was no significant asymmetry peroperatively then you should definitevly go back to your surgeon and have an ultrasound done.

Best of luck

Afschin Ghofrani, MD
Dubai Plastic Surgeon

Pain and swelling Post op

The two breasts commonly heal quite differently. One breast may swell more, feel more uncomfortable, or have a different initial shape. After complete healing, they will be more similar and natural. You must have patience, but if this causes concern, ask questions of the doctor or the nursing staff.

The final shape of your breasts will start to look its best approximately three (3) months after surgery. It takes time for the skin and muscle to stretch and relax around the new implant. The breast will often look higher, firmer, and “less natural” in the first three (3) months. It can take up to a year to see your final result. Keep following your surgeon's post op instructions and heal well and evaluate your result after a few months.

Tingling, burning or shooting pains, which will disappear with time and should not alarm you, indicate regeneration of the sensory nerves. If these sensations cause pain, repeated, local self-massage helps.

Breast augmentation - one side swollen and painful.

Thank you for your question about your breast augmentation.

• Your photos show that your right breast is significantly more swollen than the other
  • That plus the pain suggest you may have a hematoma.
  • Please return to your plastic surgeon and ask him to order an ultrasound of both breasts to detect a hematoma.
  • If it is a hematoma, the options are to let it heal - but it will never look as good as it should 
    Or surgery to wash out as much blood as possible. 
  • Always consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes.

Not uncommon

Thank you for the question. You are still early in the post operation recovery stage. It is not uncommon to have swelling and asymmetrical healing during this period. It usually takes about 8-12 weeks for the wounds to heal and around 4-6 months for the implants to fully settle. Best of luck. Dr. Michael Omidi.

An in-person exam with a board-certified plastic surgeon is the best way to assess your needs and provide true medical advice.

Michael M. Omidi, MD, FACS