Do I need a clitoral hood reduction & labiaplasty? Do I run the risk of losing sensation cutting off the labia minora? (Photo)

Would I be able to achieve a more normal looking labia with out compromising sensation?

No one needs to have labiaplasty

but you can certainly take down excesses with labiaplasty and hood reduction.  Your redundancies can certainly be reduced but reaching perfection is challenging.  You should not lose sensation by simply having a labiaplasty but the scar can sometimes be symptomatic.  You do not need hundreds of cases to become proficient at this procedure so don't waste your money flying to LA.  You need a surgeon is has excellent judgment and technical skills who won't amputate your labia (as many have on this website) and who has a great revision policy if you are not completely happy.  It is always better to be conservative and do a revision than to cut off excessive amounts and need a reconstruction.  Patient satisfaction is my main goal here and I pride myself n the experience that patients have with me, whether from a great distance or nearby.  

Labiaplasty and Clitoral Hood Reduction

Thank you for your question and sharing your photographs. Labiaplasty is a cosmetic procedure that may improve one's confidence and resolve physical issues that one may have with enlarged labia minora.  Clitoral hood reduction may also be indicated depending on the findings on physical examination. Labiaplasty with and without clitoral hood reduction is a personal decision after being well educated on the benefits and risks.  There are several techniques, which should be discussed with you by the surgeon.   In my practice, I discuss this with my patients in order to educate them on their cosmetic issue, the surgical options and possible outcomes so that they can make an educated decision. I would recommend finding an experienced genital surgeon, which include Cosmetic Urologists, even if it involves traveling.  

Best of luck.

Jeffrey S. Palmer, MD, FACS, FAAP (Cosmetic Urologist -- Cleveland, Ohio)

Jeffrey S. Palmer, MD, FACS, FAAP
Cleveland Urologist

Do I need a clitoral hood reduction & labiaplasty? Do I run the risk of losing sensation cutting off the labia minora?

Hello friend from Idaho...No one "NEEDS" a labiaplasty, but if you are self-conscious about the size & "looks" of your labia, if its protruding from between your labia majora is bothersome to you, if you have discomfort, chafing, embarrassment wearing thong bottoms, have hygiene of sexual difficulties etc. etc, you may WISH a labiaplasty. The answer to your next question is IMPORTANT! Your anatomy shows complex and large/redundant/several folded labia with enlargement at the bottom ("posterior commisure") and top (clitoral hood) as well. If you visit a surgeon who does not have considerable experience (for sure > 100 cases done, proven by "before & after photos..."), or a surgeon who offers to "do it in the hospital under insurance, then YES, your odds of "Avoidable Inadvertent Female Genital MUTILATION" are SIGNIFICANT. Seek an experienced surgeon- you probably won't find one in Idaho! However, Alaska A.L. or Southwest can fly you someplace with an experienced practitioner. Your odds of being "botched" and left with either hypersensitivity or lost sensation are huge if your surgery is performed by an inexperienced hand.
The weblink below shows a lot of B&A photos, and there are other links on the site that are very educational & will be of help.  Read & learn and VERY BEST WISHES!
Michael P Goodman, MD
Davis, CA, USA

Labiaplasty and clitoral hood reduction?

Your picture shows a definite redundancy to both the labia minor and clitoral hood.  Surgery to correct these redundancies should not cause a loss of sexual sensation if performed correctly.  The "need" is a relative term that only you can answer.  If you are bothered by your appearance or if there is a functional problem, then surgery may be an option for you to consider.  Please consult someone well-versed in these surgeries that has enough experience to achieve your desired results.

David F. Klein, MD
Concord Plastic Surgeon

Sensation after labiaplasty surgery

There should not be any loss of sensation following labiaplasty surgery. If you were to have surgery, a labiaplasty with clitoral hood and posterior fourchette reduction would remove the excess skin and flatten out the labia. My removing excess skin around the clitoris, clitoral stimulation may be enhanced following surgery. 

Labiaplasty and clitoral hood reduction

I reviewed your photo. Your labia minora and clitoral hood are  enlarged. A labiaplasty with a clitoral hood reduction can reduce your size.  However, it must be performed by a surgeon with experience. One of the two most common labiaplasty techniques is the central wedge technique, which I invented in 1995 and published in the plastic surgery textbooks. It is also known as the "V" or wedge technique. Gynecologists and most plastic surgeons perform a labioplasty very differently. They essentially trim the labia minora (inner vaginal lips) and leave a long suture line instead of the normal labial edge. Their technique is the same whether a scalpel or a laser is used. In contrast, the central wedge removes triangles of tissue and bring the normal edges together. Thus, the normal labial edges, normal color, and normal anatomy are preserved, but the darkest labial tissue is usually removed. If you have extra tissue on your clitoral hood, it can be reduced at the same time. Your clitoral hood is protuberant.  It can be decreased somewhat by reducing the sides.  I pioneered a clitoropexy with clitoral hood reduction in which the clitoris is pushed closer to the pubic bone and the width, thickness, length, and protuberance of the clitoral hood can be decreased.  No matter the technique, an inexperienced or unskilled surgeon can lead to a high rate of complications, chronic scar discomfort, labial deformities, and further surgery. Gary J. Alter, M.D.
Beverly Hills, CA - Manhattan, NY

Gary J. Alter, MD

Thank you for your question and photo. You do not "need" a labiaplasty and clitoral hood reduction. Your anatomy based on this photo is normal. If you want to decrease the size of the labia minora and the clitoral hood, this can be done with surgery. There are two main methods and many variation on these two techniques to get a good result. The loss of sensation is close to zero. I prefer the wedge resection technique to give a normal, non-scarred labial edge. See a board certified plastic surgeon or gynecologist who have extensive experience in these procedures. In the last two years, I've been seeing more and more patients with suboptimal results and frank genital mutilation by unscrupulous practitioners. Make sure you review their before/after photos, and you want to see more than one or two. Good luck.

Labiaplasty hoodectomy

Your photo would suggest that you are a good candidate for both labiaplasty and clitoral hoodectomy. I perform these procedures together often and patients love the results. Plus, if performed correctly, sexual stimulation can be enhanced too. Click the link below to learn more. Good Luck.

Robert L. True, MD
Grapevine OB/GYN

Labiaplasty and hoodectomy?

Your story and concerns are in good company with almost ever other patient that undergoes labiaplasty and/or clitoral hood reduction (aka hoodectomy).  Based upon your photos, your anatomy is very typical of someone who seriously considers having these procedures and experiences a major boost in (sexual) self-confidence and pleasure thereafter.  Labiaplasty, which most commonly involves surgical reduction of the labia minora (inner/thinner lips) but not infrequently trimming or tucking of the labia majora (outer/thicker lips), has become a relatively common procedure over the last ten and even more so last five years.  Most commonly it is done under light sedation (aka twighlight sleep) with local anesthesia, in which case the patient should feel no pain during the operation.  Whether the surgery is done using a laser, scalpel, or scissors does not really matter but what does matter is "symmetry".  Symmetry is the most important aspect to the final aesthetic result.  Most women, just like yourself, prefer to have as much of the darker pigmented edges removed as possible.  Also, it's not how much tissue is removed but how much is left remaining because a certain amount is necessary to maintain proper form and function - typically ~10 mm or so of the dry part of the labia.  To achieve these three most important elements, I have found that the "Trim Method" satisfies best.  It is extremely important to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon that specializes in this operation (does at least 1 - 2 per week).  It may cost you a bit more but it is this type of result you will want to live with for the rest of your life.  Typical (all inclusive) fee at my office/surgery center is $4500.
Although there is no guarantee, women frequently do seek clitoral hood reduction (Hoodectomy) to improve exposure of the clitoris and hence better stimulation during sexual activity. By removing some of the excess &/or redundant skin concealing the clitoris, it becomes more readily exposed to sexual stimulation and hence a heightened sexual experience/orgasm is possible.  Sometimes I recommend adding hoodectomy to labiaplasty to better harmonize the aesthetic outcome.  Again, the key is seek consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon or gynecologist who performs this procedure regularly (>2-3 x/month) so that just the right amount of tissue is removed and just the right amount remains such that the clitoris is not constantly exposed and rubbing on clothing, etc... Typical fee for a hoodectomy is ~$3000 but reduced to about half that price if done along with a labiaplasty.
Now for recovery, because the labia tissue is so robust with blood supply it has an amazing ability to heal relatively quickly.  Most patients are sore for 4-5 days before things start to get a lot better from there.  Some patients can resume work before this time depending upon their occupation.  No exercise for two weeks, no baths/jacuzzi or swimming for 3 weeks, and no sexual activity for typically 4 weeks.  My patients are given an oral pain medication such as Vicodin or Percocet but icing the area for the first 48 hours and applying some custom  made take-home topical local anesthetic cream seems to work the best.  Glad to help.

Ryan Stanton, MD

Thank you for your questions and picture. As with any cosmetic procedure, what you "need" is dependent on your goals and expectations. From the findings in the picture, you have an appearance of both excess clitoral hood tissue and labia minora tissue. This could be improved with a labiaplasty procedure and I would recommend a wedge type procedure for you. As for sensation, the sensation to the remaining tissue should remain intact and that should not be a concern. Best of luck!