I'm almost 2 months out from my breast reduction surgery and my right breast is pulling inward. What would cause this? (Photo)

Scars, bulges, and bumps after breast reduction

Scars, bulges and bumps after surgery always occur initially. Some types of bulges go away and others require a simple revision months later to get to the best result. The cosmetic outcome of breast reduction surgery is an important part of loving your breasts and feeling that they are natural. After a period of 9-12 months, I am very happy to work with patients to perform any additional procedures that may elevate the cosmetic quality of the result. Additional surgery carries additional charges. Why do these bumps happen in the first place? I tell patients that breast reduction surgery is more like gardening than sculpting. The surgeon does not have complete control of the immediate or final result. You start out with steps that aim for a specific result and the tissues have to adapt and comply. Variability of swelling, and circulation can change the immediate outcome and sometimes also the long term outcome. Remarkably, smoothing and rounding (which is what we like for breasts) is the course that all breast incisions take over time. Rarely, a scar is so pronounced that early revision surgery is the right way to go. This is where you and your surgeon need to decide what's best for your case!

Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

What would cause breast to pull inward?

Thank you for your question.  Sometimes, the scar contracts to a great deal and pulls surrounding tissue in.  Some of this tends to soften up over time and drop back down.  Allow at least 6 months of healing before getting a better idea about your final result.  Be sure to communicate your concerns to your surgeon.  Good luck.

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS