How do I treat an infection after tooth extraction and bone graft for implant?

3 weeks ago I had a tooth extracted and a bone graft for an implant. I immediately had a large lump in my jaw and whole side of face was black and blue. Pain was bad. I was put on antibiotics. Returned in 5 days, same symptoms, antibiotics were increased. A few days later was back to the dentist and they drained pus from the area. This relieved the swelling and pain for about 4 days. Now there is pus again, large lump at site with pain and swelling.

Infection after tooth extraction

Hi there, thank you for your question. I'm sorry to hear you're having such difficulties after your bone graft and tooth extraction. There are a multitude of reasons why you could be having some post-op problems. I see that your dentist is being proactive with the treatment since he/she has increased antibiotics and performed an incision and drainage. Some infections are resistant, particularly in the mouth where we have many different kinds of bacteria. Your antibiotics may need to be changes once again and the source of the infection identified. This possibly might mean that he/she may need to open the tissue once again to clean. These types of infections are not common, so if you have a systemic problem like diabetes, make sure it is well under controlled so your body responds properly to the treatment. Good luck!