Did I cause my Melasma?

Is it possible I caused my Melasma? I´ve always been fit but I do not exercise regularly, have not been drinking enough water and after breastfeeding I eat too much chocolate. I have read that Melasma is caused by hormonal imbalance (too much estrogen/copper). I had a baby 20 months ago and have been on the CP for 14 years. The Melasma appeared 3 weeks ago after sun bathing and I am freaking out. Is it possible I did this to myself? I.e. does Melasma reflect poor inner physical condition?

No, melasma is due to a combination of genes, UV and hormones.

Melasma can not be completely cured, however effective treatment are possible. This is because your skin is extremely sensitive to UV and even the smallest amount can stimulate your pigment cells to produce colour. The mainstay of treatment is strict UV protection- hats, sunglasses and SPF every 4 hours.

I prefer to use a combination of creams and laser for melasma. Hydroquinone can be used (5-8%), along with vitamin A creams. I usually start my patients on laser (low dose Q switch or Picosure) a few weeks after they commence on creams. Another laser I use is the Clear and Brilliant in the Permea setting combined with creams.

In some cases I combine glycolic AHA peels, and in other cases I use a tablet called Tranexamic acid to help. Melasma treatments should be tailored to each patient.

All the best, Dr Davin Lim. Laser, surgical and aesthetic dermatologist. Brisbane, Australia

Melasma

Thank you for your question. There have been cases after women's pregnancy that melasma has formed as well from taking birth control there is just an increase in pigment from the extra hormones. Possibly chemical peel treatments could help or a prescription for hyper-pigmentation could help.   

Edward E. Dickerson, IV, MD
Fayetteville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Melarase creams for melasma

Melasma does have a physiologic basis, including hormones. I would suggest starting light chemical peels followed by Melarase AM, Melarase PM, and Melapads. 

Dr. Karamanoukian
Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS