What do you recommend for me? I am currently a 38DD and would prefer a C.

I'm 26 years old with one child and I am 5,4 at 186lbs currently working towards 145. I wear push-up bras which cause discomfort in my breasts at the end of a 10 hour shift. I also have neck and back pain mostly in my mid back right across my bra line.

Breast Reduction

Based on your description you could be a good candidate for a breast reduction surgery. I see several patients with the same concerns as you, and most are good candidates for this surgery. With that being said however, I would wait to make any final decisions until after you have reached your goal weight. Since breasts are just fatty tissue, there is usually a decrease in the size depending upon the pattern in which you lose weight. If, after you’ve lost your weight, are still concerned about the size of your breasts, I would recommend scheduling an in-person consultation with a highly qualified, board certified plastic surgeon.

Breast reduction

Breast reduction is a great procedure for women who are experiencing neck and back pain from large breasts, as well as for women who are unhappy with the appearance of such large breasts. I would need to examine you in person to give you a complete recommendation - do you just need a reduction, or would a reduction plus a lift be best? Also, if you are in the process of losing over 40 pounds, I recommend you wait until you are closer to your goal weight before having surgery. However, you can schedule a consultation now with a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in breast reduction surgery to learn more about the procedure. Good luck!

Jimmy S. Firouz, MD, FACS

Breast R

I appreciate your question.

From your description, it sounds like you would be a good candidate for a breast reduction once you reach your goal weight.  Best to be at a BMI less than 30 or within 10 pounds of your goal weight and stable at that weight for 6 months prior to surgery for optimal results.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz
Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute
#RealSelf100Surgeon

Breast reduction after weight loss

Thank you for your question.  It appears that you're a good candidate for a breast reduction once you get down to your goal weight.  Be sure to consult with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon.  Good luck!

Definitely lose weight first

Breast reductions are awesome surgeries and my patients that have them done are some of my happiest.  I 100% encourage you to start doing research and find the surgeon you trust the most will deliver incredible results.  I am positive that your result will be the best it can be if you get down to your goal weight prior to surgery though.  Hope this helps.

-JGH

Weight and reduction

If you are planning to lose weight, I would do that first. Your breasts may get smaller. If they are still too large, then a reduction might be worth it.

Thank you for the question. Based on your description, you may be an excellent candidate for breast reduction surgery. This operation tends to be one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform.
“Typical” patients who present for breast reduction surgery are women who have disproportionately large breasts, causing problems such as neck/back/shoulder discomfort, postural changes, bra strap grooving, skin irritation/rashes under the breasts, and/or difficulty with activities of daily living and/or exercise etc. There may be both physical as well as psychosocial “stress” caused by the disproportionately large breasts.
Reducing breast tissue mass and elevating the breasts on the chest wall tend to improve or alleviate many of the symptoms associated with the disproportionately large breasts.
Patients considering breast reduction surgery should also consider the potential downsides (risks/complications) associated with the procedure as well. Poor scarring, for example may be associated with the procedure. Additional surgery may be necessary in the short or longer term for a multitude of reasons.
When the time is right, I suggest that you seek consultation with well experienced plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience achieving the types of outcomes you would be pleased with. Ultimately, careful selection of your plastic surgeon will be the most important decision you make.
To this end, I would suggest you visit a few surgeons whose practices concentrate on aesthetic surgery. ***Ask to see lots of examples of their work and preferably speak/see patients who have had similar procedures done.
With the goal of improving communication with my patients I find the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “proportionate” or “C cup” means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful. Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate.
I hope this, and the attached link (dedicated to breast reduction surgery concerns), helps. Best wishes.