I Had Liposculpture Exactly 7 Days Ago and I Am Still Draining Alot?

I had liposculpture 7 days ago, i have 3 small drains 2 in the front and 1 in my tail bone.the first 3 days i was draining alot i even wore diapers especially from the the tail bone one, then the next 2 days very very lightly that just covered them with gauze, now, the past 2 days have been horrible almost just as bad as the 2nd and 3rd day. why is that? and i thought it was only gonna last 2-4 days, how can i stop it? it's gross i hate it!

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. This is the surgical procedure that revolutionized cosmetic surgery becoming one of the most performed cosmetic procedures. Subcutaneous tissue or fat is removed in order to contour the body in a way that is harmonious and pleasing to the senses. It can be performed in almost all regions of the body such as the neck, chin, abdomen, back, buttocks, thighs, arms and ankles. Usually done through a small incision in the skin through which a cannula connected to a vacuum is applied, it can be performed alone or in combination with other procedures. After liposuction your body is going to be really swollen for at least 2 to 4 months after your surgery. It is important for you to wear your compression garment for at least 6 months, the first 3 months 24/7 and then the last 3 months at least 12 hours per day for your body get use to not having the faja for so many time. When you remove it, your body can get swollen and also you can have pain. Remember to also compress your body to prevent a seroma which is an accumulation of liquid that has to be drained, it is hard to touch and also really painful. Bruises are completely normal for almost 3 months from surgery, that’s why is better for you to use a bruising cream and apply it all over your body 3 times a day. To prevent bad circulation and swollen legs, use compression socks. Brazilian butt lift can be performed with the same procedure and for a month it will be swollen and it will drop a little bit without losing it’s shape if you use your garment.. If you’re going to perform liposuction on your inner, outer, anterior, lateral, postetior thighs, be careful and consult with your surgeon what’s best for you, sometimes we have more extra skin than fat, that can cause severe sagginess on our legs, which can be only be reversed performing a thigh lift….

No drains after liposuction

It is not common to use drains after liposuction surgery.  The wounds are closed an compression is applied.

Post Liposculpture Draining

Thank you for your question. Drainage is a part of the procedure, and the healing aspect. This part goes away in usually 48-72 hours, but if there was a large extraction, greater than 3 liters, then drainage may persist. They can close up very quickly once the extra fluid is gone. If there is an odor, have it evaluated. I hope this helps.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

Still Draining after a Few Days

Drainage more than a few days may be normal based upon the type of liposuction or the amount, but your plastic surgeon should determine this.

Liposuction and drainage

Draiange after liposuction can occur for many reasons.  Some modalities cause more drainage than others. It is best to ask your surgeon to evalaute you.

Drainage after Liposuction

Depending on your body's response to the procedure, how much fluid was used, and how much fluid your physician was able to remove during and after the procedure, it's not unusual to still have some drainage this far into your recovery. Make sure to wear your compression garments as directed, as this will greatly help in the process. 

Significant drainage after liposculpture should be expected.

Significant drainage after liposculpture should be expected.  Your surgeon should have given you clear information about this.  Your drainage seems to be maybe a little prolonged compared to most of my liposculpture patients, but may not be unreasonable.

Some reasons why the drainage may have increased include:

1. your activity level has increased - which causes your body to create more fluid
  2. your water intake has increased - which creates more fluid that can drain
  3. you had an area that was not draining properly initially and is now draining properly.

Stay in close contact with your surgeon to help you through this period.

Richard H. Fryer, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon