I Would Like to Know What Options I Have to Remove an Unwanted Vein from my Face?

I have this unsightly vein on my face. I went to a vein clinic and they told me basically that a vein and artery had fused together. I tried to get advice from other vein specialists but they don't deal with facial veins. It happens when I bend my head down or when its hot. Plastic surgeons said they could ligate it. I have high blood pressure and currently taking medication for it. Please, I don't need to "cover" it with fat etc, I really NEED it removed. It ruins my self confidence

Doctor Answers 5

Abnormal Blood Vessel On Face

Your particular problem is not common and is not simple to deal with.  The first step would be for you to get some detailed imaging of the area with ultrasound, CT scan, or MRI in order to define the anatomy of it in detail.  I feel is is likely soe form of hemangioma or arteriovenous malformation.  The danger of this is that is can continue to grow larger with time.  The standard therapy is this region of the body would be surgical ligation / removal and it would need to be performed by a vascular specialist with a particular interest in this condition.  Good luck on getting this addressed.

Austin Vascular Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 2 reviews

High frequency vascular transducer can help delineate whether this is an AVM - Buffalo Niagara, NY

A high frequency vascular ultrasound transducer (15 MHz) or higher as the ones used intraoperatively (up to 40 MHz) can insonate very supeficial structures under the skin with little attenuation of ultrasound energy and for quite helpful B mode and color doppler and spectral Doppler analysis. This may help delineate whether this is a vein, or as suggested by some of the physicians, an AVM. 

Hratch Karamanoukian, MD, FACS
Buffalo Phlebologist
4.8 out of 5 stars 41 reviews

Treatment of a large vein around the eyes

Venous malformations can occur on the face, particularly around the eyes.  Several quick clinic tests can help elucidate the problem.  I would begin with a consultation in which the physician can actually examine and feel the mass.  Treatment varies depending on the actual connections this vein has with the surrounding structures. 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS
Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 94 reviews

Photo not visible

It is hard to say,but you may have an A-V malformation. A neuroradiologist may be able to help you with this problem.

Vicki J. Levine, MD
New York Dermatologic Surgeon

Enlaged facial vein

I assume you are asking about the bulge in the upper lid?

This is an unusual place for enlaged vein. It could be a hemangioma.

The trade of to exploring it is a scar right on top of it.

Samir Shureih, MD
Baltimore Plastic Surgeon
4.2 out of 5 stars 7 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.