I Fell Asleep Without my Compression Garments 3 Days Post Abdominal and Submental Liposuction. Did I Ruin my Result?

I now have aditional swelling under my chin. Should I use ice?

Fell Asleep without Compression Garment

This should not have any effect on your final result.  Obviously, talk to your own plastic surgeon about this but since some surgeons no longer use compressive garments, or use them rarely, it is unlikely that a few hours without will affect your result.  Swelling will go up and down anyway, and even more so if the garment has been off for a while but in terms of the final result - I would have a very low level of concern for this.

I hope that this helps and good luck,

Dr. E

Forgot to wear the compression garment after liposuction

Never fear, you absolutely did not hurt your final result.  Post operative compression helps control post operative swelling until your body recovers from the operation and lymphatic and venous drainage have returned to normal.  If you ask ten of us on this website how long we maintain postoperative compression garments, I bet you will get ten different answers.  What I tell my patients is that it is like jogging or walking to a destination.  You will get there with either method, it just may take a little longer.  During your early recovery from liposuction, you will find that the compression garment helps to support your tissue and makes it feel less swollen to a point.  At the end of the day, no matter what, you will probably feel really swollen.  You then go to bed and the next day the swelling will have subsided.  You do this cycle for weeks and weeks with gradual improvement.  Hang in there and rest assured that you have not harmed your final result.

You did not effect your result

Wearing the compression garments will quickly get the swelling back under control. Hope you enjoyed your nap. All is well.

Armin Moshyedi, MD
Bethesda Plastic Surgeon

Not Wearing Garment May or May Not Have Consequences.

It is highly unlikely that this will affect your result. 
If there is pain because of an overly tight compression garment it is probably not the right fit and you need to see your plastic surgeon for an evaluation and remedy. Compression garments type and when applied varies from plastic surgeon to plastic surgeon and not dependent usually on the type of lipo performed. In my practice, A compression garment placed in surgery immediately after liposuction (steristrip protects the sutures) is recommended and beneficial after liposuction because:
  1. It restricts the amount of edema that forms and hastens its resolution by mechanical pressure.
  2. It decreases the amount of bruising.
  3. It assists the loose skin in retracting or shrinking.
If bulging ridges above or below, creases or bands are present then you probably need to change garments - see your plastic surgeon.
It is common to have weight gain due to edema, serum that collects in the area, and the tumescent fluid that was injected. This will resolve over time. The more you wear the garment initially, the quicker this fluid resolves.
Edema: a condition characterized by an excess of watery fluid collecting in the cavities or tissues of the body.
The length of time that the garment should be worn varies depending on the amount of fat removed, the elastic nature of your skin, how much loose skin remains, and other factors. Your surgeon would give you the best advice, however this is the general routine for my patients.
The first garment should be fitted for you in the office prior to surgery and applied in the operating room. Often it will become loose as the edema is mobilized, and then it will need to be replaced. Spanx is a reasonable compression garment if it gives enough support and is the right size. I have my patents bring them in so I can confirm that it fits well.
Most important advice is to listen to your surgeon, as he or she knows how much fat was removed, the elasticity that remains in your skin, and amount of skin redundancy.
I recommend that my patients wear their garments for a minimum of three weeks full time then for twelve hours at a time (day or night). If there is not a lot of redundant skin, this continues to a maximum of six weeks.
To be effective, the garment needs to fit snugly—but not too tight as that can make it difficult to sleep or cause pressure problems (inspect your skin when it is exposed if you are uncomfortable). As the edema resolves it is common for patients to switch to a smaller garment that fits. A Spanx-type garment would work fine, rather than ordering one or paying more at your doctor’s office.

No Compression Garment for a Few Hours after Liposuction

This may not have any effect at all.  The only danger of going a period of time without the compression garment is the development of a fluid collection.  Always check with your plastic surgeon.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA