I Had Breast Augmentation Surgery 8 Weeks Ago and my Right Implant Still Hasn't Dropped?

I had Breast Augmentation Surgery 8 weeks ago and my right implant still hasn't dropped. My left breast looks great and has completely settled. My right implant has dropped some but is still a lot higher than my left and I still have some saggy skin at the bottom of my right breast. How long does it normally take? Should I be concerned?

When do breast implants drop?

Only your surgeon who operated on you and has examined you after surgery can say for certain, so weigh his/her opinion heavily.

In general, breast implants "drop" or "settle" dramatically a couple centimeters in the first few weeks after surgery. After that they continue to settle into a more natural position for up to a year after surgery. Also, breasts are asymmetrical before surgery and tend to heal and settle asymmetrically quite often. I have seen implants still be asymmetrical 8 weeks after surgery end up perfectly even and symmetrical months later. So, be patient and follow up with your surgeon. Good luck.

Bethesda Plastic Surgeon

Implants still uneven, what should I do?

I would tell you that it can take several weeks to months for implants to settle into their final position. Continue to f/u with your doctor and follow his advice, good luck.

Jonathan Weiler, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

High riding implant

Please discuss with your surgeon, eight weeks for a large discrepnacy in position is not common, but still may be improveable without surgery depending on the cause.

Breast Asymmetry after Breast Augmentation?

Although your concern is understandable, it is very likely that you will notice continued settling of breast implants for several additional months, and even up to one year after surgery. I would suggest that you continue to follow-up with your plastic surgeon closely;  he/she is in the best position to rule out complications such as encapsulation which may prevent a breast implant from settling normally. He/she may also advise additional “massage” on the higher side.

Post op

it takes at least 6-9 months for the breasts to settle and gain most of their final shape and form after surgery.

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Right Implant Still Hasn't Dropped

This is one of the most common postop issues discussed on this site.

Usually at the end of surgery the surgeon checks the position of the implants before closing the incision. Submuscular implants are sitting as if they are at the bottom of an envelope. The breast fold, like the bottom of the envelope keep the implants from descending. At the upper pole is a large space under the muscle and above the ribs, and that space goes up to the clavicle (collar bone). Typically the implant position looks fine at surgery. As the patient awakens, the relaxed pectoralis muscle contracts, pushing on the implant. This displaces the silicone (or saline) which bulges into the upper pole, the only direction with room to expand. The lower pole of the breast may seem to empty out. But the implant itself doesn't actually move. As the muscle relaxes over several months, the upper pole no longer bulges and the implant position looks like it did in surgery.

The implants settle as the muscles relax to accommodate. This goes at its own pace, usually taking 3 months, sometimes longer. It is common for the two to settle at different paces.

Be sure to follow up regularly with your surgeon. Occasionally the problem may be due, for example, to a capsular contracture, for which the treatment may be different. 

Thanks for your question, best wishes.

Right Implant Hasn't Dropped after Augmentation #breastimplants

It can take 3-6 months for them to competely settle down. I would focus on massaging the right one, but do not forget about the left breast. You also may benefit from a strap that will help push the left one down. I am not sure what is going on with the loose skin but have your doctor take a look at that.  Just be patient and remember, they will be sisters not twins!

Richard J. Brown, MD

Implant Riding High

Implants settle into their final position over several weeks (or more) after surgery. Occasionally, one side will do this faster than the other. Sometimes an augmentation band or massage may help the slower side along. If they do not equal out, I would suggest you discuss this with your Plastic Surgeon who can guide you further.

Lawrence Iteld, MD

Asymmetric settling after augmentation

It can take several months for the implants to work in and settle with the available breast skin and pocket, and often the 'dropping' is a wait for the skin in the lower pole to relax. What is a concern however is you mention the skin is loose in the lower pole, so do let your surgeon have a look.