Could having hyperthyroidism prevent me from getting breast implant surgery?

I have hyperthyroidism and it was stable now its over reacting. At the same time i wanna get breast implants will they tell me no because of this?

Well controlled hyperthyroidism should not be a contraindication to elective breast surgery. Best to have documented ( lab tests) well-controlled thyroid hormone levels for at least 3 months prior to proceeding. Your internist/endocrinologist will be your best resource when it comes to good advice regarding timing of the procedure. Best wishes.

Hyperthyroidism and Breast Augmentation Surgery #breastimplants

Just having hyperthyroidism should not preclude you from having elective surgery. You will need to be evaluated by your primary care physician or your endocrinologist to see if your lab values are in the normal range. All of this is part of what we do as doctors, to make sure you are in a safe place to have surgery. Your surgeons should guide you through the pre operative process.

Richard J. Brown, MD

Hyperthyroidism and breast augmentation surgery

Patients with a history of hyperthyroidism can have breast augmentation, however, you would need to check first with your endocrinologist.  If medication for the hyperthyroidism is prescribed, be sure to stay on your medicine.  

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Hyperthyroidism and surgery

This question is be answered by your primary care physician and endocrinologist. You want to be sure that any medical issues are controlled prior to surgery. Controlled thyroid disease is no a contraindication to surgery. 

Breast Implante Vs. Hiperthyroidism.

Since Breast Augmentation is a selective procedure you may schedule it at your optimal health condition.

Your endocrinologist will be the one to determine your ideal endocrinológical status for the surgery.

Adolfo Sesto, MD

Your personal physician can help regulate your thyroid so you can have surgery!

It is very important to have your thyroid medication adjust properly prior to surgery! Please find an experienced Board Certified Plastic Surgeon and member of the Aesthetic Society using the Smart Beauty Guide. These Plastic Surgeons can guide you on all aspects of facial surgery, breast augmentation and body procedures including tummy tucks or mommy makeovers!

Hyperthyroidism and breast implant surgery

It is essential to stabilise your thyroid function before you have surgery. No sensible surgeon would perform breast augmentation on you until that is the case - the risks far outweigh the benefits.

Roy Ng, FRCS(Plast)
London Plastic Surgeon

Hyperthyroidism and breast surgery

If you have uncontrolled hyperthyroidism elective surgery should be delayed. If you have chronic controlled hyperthyroidism your endocrinologist would very likely give you clearance for breast surgery.

Breast implants

Thank you for your question. The best thing to do would be to see your endocrinologist and have them manage your hyperthyroidism to a point where they feel you are safe to undergo surgery. Poorly controlled hyperthyroidism can put you at risk for an irregular hearbeat or a rapid heart beat all which pose a significant risk to surgery. I would definitely hold off on surgery till your hyperthyroidisim is corrected.

Arun Rao, MD
Tucson Plastic Surgeon

Elective cosmetic surgery should not be performed unless your health is at its best. Why would you risk your health? Once the thyroid activity is normalized for a period of time, you should be fine with the surgery, but not before.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD