What Treatments Are Available for Excessive Sweating?

I am a heavy sweater and it is very embarrassing to me, mainly during exercise. It is to the point of where it gains negative attention. I like the fact that I do sweat and some wish they could but it is too much and I also have a stronger underarm odor so I'm very particular about bathing. It was not unnormal for me to take 3-4 showers a day. What procedure can be taken for excessive sweating?

Underarm Sweating (Hyperhidrosis)

It is normal to sweat when we exercise. It is not normal to sweat when we are sitting in an air conditioned office and we experience excessive sweating from the underarms, palms, feet or any combination of the above.

The question you asked about sweating is very generic - but I will address primary hyperhidrosis alone as it is the type of hyperhidrosis that is treatable. Secondary hyperhidrosis is due to an underlying medical problem and when that medical problem is treated, it is possible that the hyperhidrosis may be lessened. What differentiates secondary hyperhidrosis from primary hyperhidrosis is that secondary hyperhidrosis is sweating which occurs throughout the body whereas primary hyperhidrosis is located in distinct parts of the body - head, underarms, palms, groin, feet, or any combination of these areas.

For your problem with excessive sweating you should first try topical agents containing aluminum chloride, such as Drysol or Clinical Secret. If these don't work, or if they cause skin irritation, then you should try Botox injections which can ameliorate sweating in the underarms for about 4 months.

Finally, you can have suction curettage by an experienced hyperhidrosis specialist or endoscopic thoracic sympathectomy (ETS). The latter is more than 97% successful in eliminating sweating from the underarms in carefully selected patients. However, ETS is no longer the preferred treatment for underarm sweating. miraDry is the preferred treatment for underarm hyperhidrosis. The second preferred technique for underarm hyperhidrosis is Botox injections.

ETS should only be performed by board certified thoracic surgeons (American Board of Thoracic Surgery) as it is a procedure requring experience in minimally invasive chest surgery.

There are many treatments for excessive sweating

including topical solutions such as drysol, pills such as Robinul, and treatments such as Botox/Dysport which are temporary.  THere is now a new long lasting treatment for underarm sweating, the MiraDry procedure.  It uses microwave technology to eliminate sweat glands in the underams.  Typically two treatments are done 3 months apart.  Dermatologists are the experts in excessive sweating and can let you know what choices may be available for you.

Carolyn Jacob, MD
Chicago Dermatologic Surgeon

Are you after a permanent or temporary solution? Botox vs miraDry

OK- lots of treatments available, Im sure you have tried aluminium hexahydrate or Driclor - this is the cheapest, most convenient method to treat mild to moderate sweating. 

Seems like you fall into the 'tried everything'/severe sweating patient. 

You now have 3 options, and I will rank them in order of merit based upon YOUR question. 

1. miraDry- 2 treatments, 3 months apart. 95% success rate including decreasing odour- permanent solution

2. BOTOX injections- 95% success, repeated every 4-6 months. May or may not help odour. 

3. ETS - surgery (not localised excision but ablation of part of you spinal nerve plexus)- Last resort. Permanent, but high chance of rebound sweating. 

I hope this answers your question. 

Cheers

Dr Davin Lim 
Laser and aesthetic Dermatologist
Brisbane and Gold Coast

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist

Neurotoxin, miradry, axillary shaving for underarm sweating

Underarm sweating and odor are common problems.  Neurotoxins, such as botox or dysport are very effective at dramatically reducing sweating for ~ 6-9 months.  Miradry is a relatively newer non-invasive procedure that uses microwave technology to destroy the sweat glands.  The first treatment typically results in an immediate reduction in sweating and the second treatment builds upon the first treatment.  On average, patients note a > 80% reduction in sweating.  A small percentage of patients don't respond to miradry - these people may do better with a procedure called axillary shaving, which surgically disrupts sweat glands.  We offer all of these procedures in our office.

Treatments for excessive sweating

miraDry is the only non-invasive, FDA cleared treatment to permanently eliminate sweat and odor glands in the underarm area. In as little as one easy treatment, miraDry can leave you feeling clean, confident and carefree forever!
Botox or surgery are other options

#MiradryforSweat #GoodbyeOdor #SweatandOdor

Treatments for Excessive Sweating

Topical treatments include over the counter antiperspirant and prescription strength antiperspirant like Drysol.  Drysol can cause chaffing of the skin and sensitivities such as tingling sensations.  

Botox can also be performed for excessive underarm sweating and lasts about 6-8 months.

A permanent solution for underarm sweating is MiraDry, which uses energy to kill the underarm sweat and odor glands.  This is a short minimally invasive procedure performed in our office with local anesthesia.  There is minimal downtime and potential bruising and swelling.  It results in an 80% reduction in underarm sweating with as little as one treatment - very few patients need 2 treatments.  

Excessive sweating treatments

There are several options for treating hyperhidrosis. As mentioned by other physicians, there are topical agents (like Drysol) that can be effective temporarily. I have had a number of patient's with skin reactions to these agents, but they can be very useful.  A more long lasting effect can be created with Botox injections in the underarm. This typically lasts around 6 months and then the area needs to be retreated. A more permanent solution to excessive sweating is the miraDry procedure which uses non-invasive microwave technology to permanently eliminate the sweat glands in the armpit. One miraDry treatment can be very effective, but some patients need a second treatment for optimal result.  

Cynthia Diehl, MD
Durham Plastic Surgeon

Miradry best for armpits, Botox for other areas.

Although miraDry is getting a lot of attention recently, it has actually been around for a while. It has been extensively studied and there is no cancer association. The FDA has cleared it for safe use as well. The microwave energy only penetrates 4-5mm in depth and heats up and destroys the sweat and odor glands. The energy does not reach lymph nodes or deeper structures and it in non-ionizing radiation (the safe kind, like radiowaves). I have had the procedure done myself and it has truly been a gift. One and done for 80% of people! In the long term, much more cost-effective than Botox which has to be repeated every 3-6 months. Let us know if we can help in any way.
Botox can be a good alternative while miradry is being approved for use in those areas. Botox prevents the nerves from telling the sweat glands to produce sweat and odor. Hope that helps!
And we are the busiest miraDry practice in California with great results. Let us know if you can help in any way.

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

EXCESSIVE SWEATING OR HYPERHYDROSIS IN NEW JERSEY

There are a number of potential treatments for underarm sweating including topical antiperspirants, botox therapy, surgery, or Miradry.

Since we have introduced Miradry to our NJ practice, we have been extremely impressed with the procedure's ability to permanently reduce/eliminate underarm sweating in 1-2 treatment sessions without the need for multiple treatments (such as botox) and without the need for invasive surgery.

The procedure does not require surgical anesthesia and can be performed in an office-based setting in about 1-1.5 hours.

Jeffrey B. Wise, MD, FACS
Wayne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Options for Excess Underarm Sweating

miraDry is a clinically proven and safe FDA-approved solution for significantly reducing underarm sweat. It’s an outpatient procedure performed in your physician’s office. It is not surgery so doesn’t involve surgical incisions. miraDry delivers controlled electromagnetic energy to the arm pit, eliminating the underarm sweat (eccrine) glands. It does not penetrate enough to cause significant fat reduction and if anything might tighten, not loosen skin.Two procedures are typically recommended. Each occurs approximately three months apart for best results.

Other options include: antiperspirants, Botox or Dysport with off label usage toxins temporarily prevents the sweat glands from working for varying lengths of time. This requires repeat treatments to maintain results. Other options involve superficial liposuction or excision of sweat gland skin poses additional risks and leave scars.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS