Can raised dark brown mole in the area in photo reoccur if shave is opted? What do you suggest excision or shave? (photo)

Prominent mole

Hey icecream and thanks for your question!

In my practice I would excise the mole. I would do this for several reasons. 

1. we don't know how deep the mole goes - occasionally with shaving some pigment is left behind or recurs over time- the deeper the shave the worse the scar

2. with a small excision using beaver blade scalpels- the entire epidermis and dermis is removed making re-pigmenting impossible

3. A full thickness excision biopsy is the standard of care with any skin lesions that may be concerning for melanoma (able to asses thickness of the tumor) *** your mole doesn't look concerning for that- just information and can't rule anything out by pictures. 

4. a tiny excision would be unnoticeable if done by a skilled surgeon

Hope this helps and God Bless!

Dr. Robb

Evans Physician

Recurrant Mole

This mole probably will not recur if it is removed.  Considering the area and the size, I would recommend a shave biopsy.  You can find a local dermatologist who will do this for you.

Michael A. Greenberg, MD
Elk Grove Village Dermatologist