Laser or chemical peeling for pimple and acne scars? (photos)

I'm 21 years old. I've pimples and acne scars since 5 years now. I've been applying home remedies irregularly( lemon juice, castor oil) and also taking some tablets as prescribed by doctors. And then a year and half ago I stopped doing everything. I got rid of pimples and had slight acne scars. I was ok with my skin. Suddenly it all started again since 6 months or so. Now I'm thinking of going for some treatment but simultaneously afraid of its side effects. So is chemical peeling recommended?

Acne and acne scars

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for your question. The first thing that needs to be addressed is clearing up your acne. I would recommend you make an appointment with a board certified dermatologist to get you on prescriptions and a skin care routine to clear up your acne. Once your acne is cleared then you can work on the scars. Because of your skin pigment, you are not a good candidate for laser treatments due to the risk of post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation that can occur. A series of peels or micro needling can be a good option for you for the acne scars. I would make an appointment with a board certified dermatologist to go over these options as well as start you on an acne regimen. 

Focus on treating your acne first.

Hi Sadaf9, thanks for your question. I’m sorry to hear that you’re struggling with acne. The first order of business is to clear up your skin and stop the acne from forming. I recommend you visit a board-certified dermatologist who specializes in acne treatment. Prior to your visit, take note of anything that seems to trigger your acne, such as hormonal events, foods, exercise or skin care products. Though well-intentioned, some skin care products and home remedies can actually contribute to acne rather than healing it. 

One treatment I do like to help treat acne is a SilkPeel with an infusion of acne-fighting salicylic acid. SilkPeels are actually not chemical peels. Rather, they are an intensive form of microdermabrasion that removes dead skin, deep cleans clogged pores, and treats by delivering salicylic acid into the skin. SilkPeels do not produce peeling. There is no downtime and you can reapply non-comedogenic makeup immediately after treatment. 

Once your acne is under control, your dermatologist can help you understand your best options for treating any acne scarring. Treatment options vary significantly based on skin type and the nature of the acne scars. 

Sue Ellen Cox, MD
Raleigh-Durham Dermatologic Surgeon

Chemical Peel

Thank you for your question. Chemical peel can address acne and acne scarring as well as rough skin and other scars, which can address your concerns. I suggest that you consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon to learn the efficacy of chemical peel alongside your current corrective action.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Its best to get your acne under control first

The right skincare diet and routine is the first step to good skin. Once your acne is under control, then, you can consider scar treatments.   

Vijay K. Bindingnavele, MD, FACS
Corpus Christi Plastic Surgeon