Laser or chemical peeling for pimple and acne scars? (photos)

I'm 21 years old. I've pimples and acne scars since 5 years now. I've been applying home remedies irregularly( lemon juice, castor oil) and also taking some tablets as prescribed by doctors. And then a year and half ago I stopped doing everything. I got rid of pimples and had slight acne scars. I was ok with my skin. Suddenly it all started again since 6 months or so. Now I'm thinking of going for some treatment but simultaneously afraid of its side effects. So is chemical peeling recommended?

Acne and acne scars

Thank you for your question. The first thing that needs to be addressed is clearing up your acne. I would recommend you make an appointment with a board certified dermatologist to get you on prescriptions and a skin care routine to clear up your acne. Once your acne is cleared then you can work on the scars. Because of your skin pigment, you are not a good candidate for laser treatments due to the risk of post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation that can occur. A series of peels or micro needling can be a good option for you for the acne scars. I would make an appointment with a board certified dermatologist to go over these options as well as start you on an acne regimen. 

Orange County Dermatologist

Its best to get your acne under control first

The right skincare diet and routine is the first step to good skin. Once your acne is under control, then, you can consider scar treatments.   

Vijay K. Bindingnavele, MD
Corpus Christi Plastic Surgeon