I had hair transplantation before 1 & half month. I started smoking 4 days after surgery.. Any suggestions?

both donor nd transplanted area is healed.But the pblm is, hair staterd growing ..but some gaps nd spaces r there in transplanted area..please give me suggestions , how to fill that spaces in transplanted area..

Smoking 4 days after an ARTAS hair restoration procedure?

Dear aerored97,

Thank you for writing in with your question. Smoking causes a constriction of a specific set of blood vessels which include the blood vessels responsible for feeding your new grafts. Once planted, the grafts are actively looking for a new blood supply, since the blood supply from the scalp was cut off during the surgery. The body responds by sending blood vessels to the new graft, and restoring blood flow to the hair follicle. This process is completed by about day 7 or 8. Smoking just 4 days after a procedure can decrease the rate of growth of your grafts. My suggestion is that you stop smoking altogether, as smoking has been found to be a cause of hair loss itself. The final results from your hair restoration will not be evident for 8-15 months following your procedure. The best thing to do is stop smoking and wait until the hair has fully grown in. If you are not satisfied with the density in the recipient area, my suggestion is to see the physician who performed your surgery and discuss it with him or her. I hope this information is helpful to you.

Atlanta Hair Restoration Surgeon

Smoking after surgery

Smoking after surgery is not a good idea for a multitude of reasons that all the other doctors stated below.  If your surgery was 1.5 months ago, you need to wait at least 9 months to see what the outcome is.  Then you can see whether you should have a 2nd transplant or now.

Amir Yazdan, MD
Irvine Hair Restoration Surgeon

Smoking after a hair transplant procedure

Smoking causes constriction of blood vessels and
decreased blood flow to the scalp, predominantly due to its nicotine content.
Also, carbon monoxide in smoke decreases the oxygen carrying capacity of the
blood. These factors both contribute to poor wound healing after a hair
transplant and can increase the chance of a wound infection and scarring.
Smoking may also contribute to poor hair growth.  Although it is not known exactly how long one
should avoid smoking before and after a hair transplant, a common recommendation
is to abstain from 1 week prior to surgery to 2 weeks after the hair
restoration procedure.

At 1 ½ months it is too soon to evaluate the outcome of
your surgery.  I would recommend waiting
at least 10-12 months and following up with the surgeon who performed your

Smoking post surgery and concerns about transplant growth

Smoking tobacco after any surgical procedure is not a good idea. Nicotine is a powerful vasoconstrictor, hence it decreases the needed tissue perfusion that is very important in wound healing and the growth of the transplanted follicles. However, at only 1.5 months post-procedure it is far too early to evaluate growth. It takes at least 12 months to see the growth of most of the transplanted grafts. I would recommend that you continue to follow up with your surgeon. IF the final result is not what you had envisioned, then further evaluation is warranted.

Bernardino Arocha, MD
Houston Hair Restoration Surgeon

If you have concerns about smoking after surgery, you should stop smoking. Follow up with your doctor if you have concerns.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Smoking after hair transplantation

I see you have gotten lots of great advice.  The short is that you need to stop any smoking for the first three months after surgery.  It is impossible to know what damage has been done.  All you can do is wait. 

Omeed Memar, MD, PhD
Chicago Dermatologic Surgeon

Hair transplant results at 1.5 months

At 1 1/2 months, you won't see much in terms of new growth. Yes, it's normal to see spaces. You need to wait 12 months.

1 1/2 months following a hair transplant

You can not judge what is happening on your head a 1 1/2 months. You now must wait for a total of 8 months when you will see 80% of the hair growing. The shedding you have had since the hair transplant is normal and with shedding, you really can't tell what is happening at this stage.

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon