7 weeks post op Thighplasty, will the color come back where the lighter scars are? (photos)

I'm 7 weeks post op and curious if this is normal healing after thighplasty surgery. Will the color come back where the lighter scars are? Was using mederma, noiw I'm using a prescription my doctor recommended by Medimix. It's only been a week but I'm anxious to get back to normal.

Scarring After Thigh Lift Surgery

It's important to understand that wound healing is a dynamic process that goes on for 12 to 18 months following surgery. During this period, swelling slowly resolves and scars lose their discoloration, flatten and slowly remodel. For these reasons, after only seven weeks it's far too early to make aesthetic judgements. It's, therefore, important to be patient and give your wounds time to improve.

It's also important to take steps in the post-operative period to minimize scarring. A variety of maneuvers have been utilized to improve scars. These include techniques designed to decrease tension on the wound closure, these include steri-strips, silicone scar sheeting and compressive support garments.

Massage of scars with a variety of topical agents has been shown to be helpful, as well. It's also important to avoid sun exposure and tanning. When adverse scarring occurs despite these maneuvers, scar revision is occasionally necessary.

If you're concerned about scarring after thigh lift surgery, you should discuss these issues with your plastic surgeon. Your surgeon should be able to formulate a treatment plan that addresses scarring in the post-operative period.

Scar Maturation

Scars mature and change over time. The will be improvements in color, contour and texture as the scar matures. This maturation process typically persist for the better part of a year. While it is impossible to predict the ultimate appearance of a mature scar, you can be assured that there will be changes as the incisions heal. You are still very early in the healing process (7 wks).

My recommendations are for typical scar management (sun protection, scar massage). If after 1 year you are unhappy with your scars you can discuss revision.

As always, review your concerns with your board certified plastic surgeon.

Donovan Rosas, MD
Westchester Plastic Surgeon

Scars take 18-24 months to finish maturing

It's far too soon to know what color your scars will be when they are mature.  Keep using the products your surgeon recommends, and be patient:)

Carmen Kavali, MD

Thighplasty

Your incisions are still healing.  You have lost some pigment in the skin due to the inflammation and irritation from the surgery.  It is possible for the pigment to come back if the inflammation was not too deep.  If it stays bothersome, you may consider a scar revision, but I would recommend waiting at least a year before doing it.