Will It Hurt Anything if I Shower Right Away After MOM (TT, BA, and Lipo)?

My PS is saying not to shower after my mommy makeover for atleast 7 to 10 days. I'm having tummy tuck, breast augmentation, and lipo. Im freaking out cause I shower twice a day and a super clean freak and germ freak!!

When to shower after a mommy makeover?

Different surgeons have different rules for their post operative patients and when they allow them to shower or increase their activity.  Personally I think 10 days is too long.  I close all my patients incisions with buried sutures which dissolve in 3 - 4 weeks.  Once the skin is well approximated with the sutures, I apply Dermabond, which is a Skin glue much like Crazy Glue and this seals the incisions.  So my patients can shower starting 24 hours after surgery with tepid water, soap and shampoo, and instructions to not scrub the incisions too hard.  This has never resulted in any problems and my patients are grateful to feel refreshed.  Check with your surgeon whether this would be an option for you.

Showering after Mommy Makeover

Of course you should listen to the plastic surgeon who performs your surgery. Our routine is to remove bandages the very next morning, apply tape to the incisions, and allow our patients to shower on the first postoperative day - regardless of what operation they have had. To my knowlege soap and water has never hurt anything, even with drains or pain pumps. 

George Weston, MD
Reston Plastic Surgeon

Each surgeon is different...

Patients are eager to shower following any type of cosmetic surgery.We generally recommend that patients wait at least 24 to 48 hours following surgery to shower. At this point, the wound edges have sealed.Occasionally, when surgical drains are used, we delay showering for an additional period of time.
Although it’s reasonable to shower one to two days following surgery, it’s important not to soak in a bath tub.This could ultimately cause infection and other complications.
Each surgeon has his own protocols.For this reason, it’s important to discuss bathing with your surgeon before undertaking this activity.

Showering after surgery

I cover all my incisions with Steri Strips and advise my patients to shower the day after surgery. Showering is helpful to keep the areas clean, and it makes you feel better. But of course, you should discuss this with your board certified plastic surgeon.

I hope that helps and wish you all the best!

Shower Right Away After MOM

While we generally let patients shower the next day after I have had the opportunity to check the patient, you should heed the postoperative instruction of your surgeon as he understands your case better than we as online consultants would.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Showering after surgery

It’s very important that you following your surgeon’s instructions. These instructions are given to you by someone who has most likely many years of experience and the last thing you want is some type of complication or infection because you were non-compliant. 

Jonathan Ross Berman, M.D. , F.A.C.S.

Jonathan Berman, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Showering right after Mommy Makeover

Your plastic surgeon may have certain reasons for his instructions.  You might also ask him/her if you can "bird bath" some of the non operated areas.  We typically will see the patient in the office 72 hours after surgery, check on the progress, and then allow showering after that.  We then will have patients just put some mild shampoo on their head and let the soap run down the body into the shower floor drain.  We do not let our patients submerge for a few weeks. 

You note that you are a clean freak.  This is fine, but after surgery you will not be able to clean the house like you are used to.  You may have bandages with a little drainage on them.  This is normal, so be prepared so you don't freak out.  Please speak with your plastic surgeon about expectations after surgery...

Jeffrey J. Roth, MD, FACS

Bathing after mommy make-over surgery

If your surgeon advises against showering or bathing after mommy makeover, you should follow those instructions. However, you might be able to wash areas that do not have any risk of becoming infected and allow yourself to feel a bit cleaner. Be sure to check with the doctor or his office nurse to see if you can clean areas that were not operated on.

Antonio Gayoso, MD
Saint Petersburg Plastic Surgeon

Showering after surgery.

Each plastic surgeon will have his or her own suggestions about when it is safe to shower after surgery.  It is really best that you speak to your Dr. and see what instructions he gives you.

Adam Tattelbaum, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

No need to wait 7-10 days!

There is not always scientific evidence to support the instructions that doctors give to their patients.  Every plastic surgeon will have their own recommendations based largely on what they were taught in training and then modified by their experience over the years.  Generally, an incision whether on your breast, abdomen or lipo areas if it is closed at surgery will become "waterproof" in as little as 24-48 hours.  Many doctors and patients still advocate that as long as removable skin stitches are still in place (5-10 days) the patient should not get the area wet.  Personally I disagree and believe there is little proof to support that view.

My recommendation for the type of procedure that your are planning would be that you would be able to shower at 3-5 days.  When drains are placed, typically they are closed drains to drain out excess fluids but that do not allow fluids in.  Some surgeons wait longer with drains for concern of infection tracking inside along the drain, but again there is little scientific proof to justify that recommendation.

Discuss your concerns with your surgeon and maybe he/she will modify their regimen a bit.

David J. Levens, MD
Coral Springs Plastic Surgeon