Had a breast augmentation 6 years ago, now my left breast has got bigger and fuller. My right breast as a result looks smaller?

Please could explain why this? I am concerned

Doctor Answers 4

Had a breast augmentation 6 years ago, my breast are asymmetric ? = follow up with a plastic surgeon #breastaugmentation

Patients with questions and concerns about their breast augmentation (eg. asymmetry) several years  after the procedure, should address those concerns with the plastic surgeon that performed the operation. Asymmetries several years after breast augmentation might be secondary to capsular formation (scar around the breast implant)

New York Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 125 reviews

Had a breast augmentation 6 years ago

I would suggest you schedule a follow up with your operating surgeon. Without seeing you in person it is hard to know what is going on. If you have saline implants one may have deflated. Best of luck.

Dean Vistnes, MD.
Vistnes Plastic Surgery
San Francisco Bay Area

#realself #drdeanvistnes #breastaugmentation

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 47 reviews

Breast asymmetry

Hello there

Thanks for your question

It is difficult to comment on this without actually seeing you person but the commonest reason for this may be due to fluctuations in weight with an asymmetric increase on one side

Rarely a fluid collection called a seroma can occur but this would be very unusual at this stage.

I presume your breasts otherwise feel soft?

The best approach here would be to consult with a fully qualified plastic surgeon to check all is OK

Good luck

Paul Banwell, MBBS, FRCS
London Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 39 reviews

Breast got bigger?

If your breast were of disimilar size to begin with, and you then gain weight the larger breast may gain at a faster rate and end up larger. However, with a history of implants, a late fluid collection around the implant called a seroma needs to be looked at.  A simple in office ultrasound can readily discern the presence or absence of fluid.  I recommend that you be seen by a board certified plastic surgeon with experience in cosmetic breast surgery.  Good luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS
Louisville Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 54 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.