I need 800cc and 1100cc taken off my breast and insurance will not pay, how much would it be out of pocket?

This sounds like a very high volume of tissue removal for most insurance companies. 

You should ask your physician if they have out of pocket or cosmetic rates for this procedure. We do.

The surgery center in which I am the medical director (Southwest Surgical Suites) have developed "Pricing Transparency" which publicly lists the price for procedures that are usually covered by insurance. This includes surgeon, anesthesia and facility fees. We developed this for patients with no insurance or high deductibles to make these necessary procedures more affordable. 

Fort Wayne Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction - what is the cost?

Thank you for your question about your breast reduction.

• It sounds as though you have already seen a plastic surgeon who submitted a pre-determination report for you.
  • I suggest you call the surgeon's office and ask the out-of-pocket cost.
  • Costs vary from surgeon to surgeon, and area to area - there isn't a fixed cost.
Always consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Best wishes. Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Breast reduction

The fees for a breast reduction will vary from surgeon to surgeon.  Best to find the right surgeon and then review the fees. Good luck.

Breast reduction

Thank you for your question. I am sorry to hear that insurance will not cover your breast reduction. Unfortunately that is a uncommon problem. As far as costs, each facility and surgeon has different costs. Our office is able to minimize surgical fees because we have our own operation room but not every surgeon is the same. I recommend you call the office of a board certified plastic surgeon to set up an appointment or call for a rough estimate of costs. All the best,

Keshav Magge, MD
Bethesda Plastic Surgeon

I am sorry to hear about the problems you have experienced with insurance company coverage breast reduction surgery.  When it comes to costs of surgery, there may be many “variables” involved. The specific surgeon's credentials/experience level (or lack thereof), the specific geographic area you are looking at, the different operations available, the location of the procedure (quality of surgery facility), type/quality of anesthesia provider, insurance company involvement… are some of the potential variables involved. You will find some average costs of surgery on this website and on individual plastic surgeons' websites as well.In regards to outcome of the planned procedure, more important than costs of the procedures will be careful selection of your plastic surgeon. I would suggest starting with the American Society of Plastic Surgery and/or the Aesthetic Society of Plastic Surgery to obtain a list of well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons.
Then, I would suggest you visit a few surgeons whose practices concentrate on aesthetic surgery. Ask to SEE lots of examples of their work AND preferably speak/see patients who have had similar procedures done.
Be very careful with your decision-making. You will find, while doing your due diligence, that there are many different “specialties” who will offer their services to you; again, I strongly recommend you concentrate on surgeons certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.

Before undergoing the breast reduction procedure it will be very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon. Most patients wish to achieve enough of a reduction to help with their symptoms while remaining proportionate with the remainder of their torso. With the goal of improving communication with my patients I find the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “B or C cup” means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful. Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate.
Best wishes with your breast reduction procedure; hopefully you will be very pleased with the outcome of the procedure performed.