How does weight gain/loss affect breast size post-reduction?

I'm worried about what will happen if my weight changes after I get a reduction. I'm currently ~165 lbs, 5'9", 34DDD. My doctor guessed that after the reduction I'll be about a C. In the past I've weighed 150-170 lbs depending on stress levels, how my health is, etc. Any insight?

Weight loss/gain effect on breast reduction results

A general rule of thumb is this: You would likely notice a change in your breast reduction results if you gained or lost 10% or more of your weight. So currently that would be at least 16-1/2 pounds. With weight loss your breasts could get smaller and maybe droopier; likewise a weight gain could increase their size. For more information on this and similar topics, I recommend a plastic surgery Q&A book like "The Scoop On Breasts: A Plastic Surgeon Busts the Myths." Hope this information was helpful and good luck.

Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for the question. Unfortunately, online consultants will not be able to help you with predictions when it comes to how your breasts may change (after breast reduction surgery) with weight fluctuation. This is why, ideally, breast reduction surgery is best done once patients have reach a long-term stable weight.  Having said that, the weight range that you mention in your question is not very different from what you currently are;  based on this, I do not think that you have too much to worry about.

Key will be: careful selection of your plastic surgeon and careful communication of your goals. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.

Post reduction weight change

A small gain or loss should not affect the results. That said, if you have particularly sagging skin to begin with, the result of "seesawing" could be more noticeable.  Given an awareness of the consequence of weight instability will make you more conscious of the advantage of maintaining consistency on the scale.

Weight and surgery, some advices:

Thank you very much for this interesting and important question. Trying to lose weight before a surgical procedure its a very delicate matter, since in many cases a restrictive diet can cause problems, such as anemia, electrolyte disturbances, decreased protein, etc ... retarding the healing process and damaging the surgery. For these reasons, if your purpose is to lose weight, i recommend you have a BMI less or equal to 30  In this regard, you must to have a support with a nutritionist, so you can achieve the desired goal, in the most healthy way, without incressing complications risks in the plastic surgery to perform.

Kind regards

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Weight and breasts

Since most breasts have a fat component to them, the size may fluctuate with weight gain or loss....