Can I return to a desk job after breast augmentation surgery within 3-5 days?

Limit strenuous activity and stay in touch with your plastic surgeon.

As others have commented, every person recovers a little differently, so this will depend on your specific situation. You should discuss your recovery concerns with your plastic surgeon, as he or she can best determine if you can safely return to work this soon. If you haven’t already had your procedure, you may also want to consider discussing rapid recovery breast augmentation with your plastic surgeon. If this is something that his or her practice offers, it could help you to get back to your normal routine quicker than a traditional breast augmentation. Good luck!

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Returning to work within 5 days is possible

I recommend that women take at least 4 days to rest after breast augmentation. I think 3 days post-op is too soon to return to work, even a desk job. You should be fine to go back to work at a desk job on the fifth day, though it’s always a good idea to check with your plastic surgeon first for a personalized recommendation. Your plastic surgeon may limit your activities and range of motion for the first weeks, which could impact your responsibilities at work.

Ricardo A. Meade, MD

When to return to work

I use to tell patients they had to wait 6 weeks to lift anything and as our Breast augmentation practice grew to over thousands of implants per year being placed we have surveyed our patients and find that most can get back to light duty at 3-5 days. But everyone is different and a discussion with your doctor would be best.

William J. Hedden, MD
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation/ Breast Implants/ Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/Silicone Implants/Revision Breast Surgery

I appreciate your question.

I would recommend that you discuss this question with your surgeon.  Your surgeon is your best resource as he/she is most familiar with your medical history and how you will be healing following surgery.  For my patients, I recommend no heavy lifting or strenuous activity for 6-8 weeks following surgery.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz
Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute
#RealSelf100Surgeon

Pain after augmentation

Congratulations on your augmentation anburney! Everyone recovers differently and it really depends on what kind of augmentation you had and if your wounds have all healed. Sometimes there are restrictions on heavy lifting or repetitive motions and thats why it is important to maintain follow up with your doctor and have your concerns addressed in person as well. Best of luck, MMT

Time off after breast augmentation

Every patient is different, but typically you should be able to return to a desk job after #breastimplants with light activity and no lifting after 3-5 days. You should discuss your work plans with your PS so you can read through your PS post operative instructions and follow his/her specific directions. 

My post operative instructions additionally require compression for usually 2 weeks, after #breastaugmentation

Jack Peterson, MD
Topeka Plastic Surgeon

Returning to a desk job after surgery

Hi Anburney,

Yes, you can return to your desk job, provided that your job does not require any strenuous activity or lifting. Most people will take one week off but if you feel comfortable after 3 days you can return to work.

Thanks!
Dr. K 

Karl Schwarz, MD
Montreal Plastic Surgeon

Maybe 5 Days?

anburney,

An augmentation in a sub-muscular potions hurts.  Don't fool yourself into thinking differently.

This is what I tell my patients and it gives them a perspective:  Imagine going to the gym for the first time with a personal trainer and the first day of work outs all you do is bench presses and push ups for few hours.  The next day your chest wall muscles would be very sore when you tried to use them.  But slowly, over a few days the inflammation goes down and you start to feel less sore.

An augment hurts a lot for about 3 days so I don't think you would be comfortable and effective at 3 days.  You may just make it at 5 days.

Thanks for you question.

Gordon Telepun, MD
Decatur Alabama Plastic Surgeon.

Can I return to a desk job after breast augmentation in 3-5 days.

This is a constant stress after augmentation as very few will have more than a week to take off these days. We can adjust our technique and our goal too is just that, a work return in 3 to 5 days after augmentation for our patients. With the right technique you can get back on time.

Returning to work after breast augmentation surgery

Thank you for your question. Recovery after a breast augmentation can be very straight forward with the right surgeon. Precise technique with minimal trauma leads to little pain after surgery, with many of our patients going out for dinner the same night of surgery. Every surgeon will have his/her own preferences as to recovery for specific procedures. We do recommend our patients with office jobs to wait at least a week to return to work for best recovery results. Most important is a consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon regarding this procedure. Don’t settle for less!