I went today for a consult and was kinda shocked to hear that I should not do Lipo with my tummy tuck. Is this common?

I went today for a consult and was kinda shocked to hear that I should not do Lipo with my tummy tuck. Is this common

liposuction of the abdomen at the same time as a tummy tuck is not done by most plastic surgeons because there can be blood vessels in the upper abdomen that are injured by the liposuction and that can result in poor blood flow to the skin which is needed for healing. It can cause the incisions to open up or for the skin not to heal.

Tummy tuck and liposuction

Hello and thank you for your question. So am I. I believe that most plastic surgeon's today will do some liposuction at the same time as a tummy tuck,  usually in the flanks to help with improving your contour. There are also plastic surgeons like myself who will aggressively liposuction the abdomen itself at the time of a tummy tuck to further improve your contour. If needs be get a second opinion. 
Peter Fisher M.D 

Peter Fisher, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

I went today for a consult. I was kind of shocked to hear that I should not do lipo with my tummy tuck. Is this common?

It can be very dangerous to perform aggressive liposuction at the same time as a tummy tuck. This is because the blood supply of the subcutaneous tissue and skin can be damaged during liposuction. Since we are lifting it up off of the fascia, it has a tenuous blood supply and aggressively liposuctioning that area can be very damaging to the blood supply. It is, however, acceptable and safe to do liposuction in the hip area at the same time as a tummy tuck.

Tummy Tuck with Liposuction

Although it is common to perform liposuction in the flanks and the mons pubis area as a part of a tummy tuck, its not recommended to perform much liposuction in the abdominal flap created for the tummy tuck. This has to do with the risk of damaging crucial blood vessels that supply this flap. After a number of weeks it is possible to return to that abdominal flap and perform liposuction at that time. The time delay allows alternate sources of blood flow to develop.

Liposuction in other areas of the body can be performed without risk to the abdominal flap. Hip and/or thigh liposuction is a common addition to an abdominoplasty (tummy tuck). Although a straightforward tummy tuck is commonly performed as an outpatient, the addition of significant amounts of liposuction may make it safer for the patient if she spends the night in the hospital. This would be a judgement call on the part of the surgeon. Remember, your safety is always of utmost priority.

Alexander G. Nein, MD, MS, FACS

Liposuction done concurrently on the skin and fat undermined during abdominoplasty is often times not done for safety reasons.

It is traumatic to the skin of the abdomen to undergo abdominoplasty. The additional trauma of liposuction to that same skin and fat most plastic surgeons avoid to prevent wound healing issues and possibly skin loss.

Tummy Tuck and Liposuction

Liposuction at the time of tummy tuck is not recommended in certain areas of the abdomen, due to severely poor healing complications associated with it.  However, most patients who need tummy tuck also would greatly benefit from lipo in some or many areas away from the abdomen that could be safely done at the time of tummy tuck and would greatly enhance the final result.                                            

Yes, doing liposuction at the same time as a tummy tuck can disrupt blood supply to the abdominal skin which is being lifted from the abdomen during tummy tuck. The result can be loss of blood supply to the skin, loss of skin and terrible scarring.

Liposuction of the flanks can be done but nut the middle of the abdomen.

Consultation

Liposuction of the entire abdomen and waistline can be performed safely if the Plastic Surgeon understands that anatomy related to the blood supply to the abdominal wall.  If the blood vessels are spared, and the dissection is limited, liposuction of the entire abdomen can be performed at the same time as the abdominoplasty is performed.  This, however, cannot be performed in a smoker due to diminished blood supply to the skin.

Malcolm D. Paul, MD

Many Surgeons don't do Lipo and Tummy Tuck together, which is understandable since it's too much aggression and bleeding on the abdominal area; on the other hand, what some of us do is to focus the Lipo on the Sides and just do a little on the abdomen. But if your Doctor just doesn't feel comfortable with it, that is something acceptable. I hope this answer was helpful. 

Yily De Los Santos, MD

It is common

Liposuction of upper abdomen can interfere with blood supply of skin in a tummy tuck.  Most surgeons do not do it. Some will do a conservative liposuction. It all depends on the patient suitability for it.   Do not second guess your surgeon. He means well. 

Vasdev Rai, MD