Can I get good results with saline implants with minimal breast tissue? (photos)

I am 32 years old, 3 breastfed children, 5'3, 110lbs, deflated 32aa, largest 34b, and active. I do not feel comfortable getting silicone implants. I've had doctors tell me they are safe, but I don't have peace. I've been to 2 surgeons and both suggested silicone implants. I realize that aesthetically, silicone is the best choice but can I get a decent result with saline? I'm liking 300-350 sizers. I dress very modestly so breasts won't be shown publicly.

Can I get good results with saline implants with minimal breast tissue?

Thank you for your question photo.  You need to be comfortable with what you have for breast implants.  Saline implants should be fine as long as there placed under the muscle.  If you place saline implants on top of the muscle is a high risk they will be visible.

Ideal Implant

Thank you for your question and for sharing photos. Though silicone implants are very safe, and would have a great aesthetic on your anatomy, there are patients like yourself who are not comfortable. I would recommend Ideal Implants. These are saline implants that feel like silicone and have a very natural shape due to the multiple chambers and shaped shell. For more information, check out the website attached. Make sure that you are working with a board certified plastic surgeon for best results.  Breast of luck! 

Kevin Tehrani, MD, FACS

Gel filled implantsplaced under the muscle

Thanks for your photos. Based on them you do not have enough breast tissue ,so gel filled implants will give a more natural look and the implant location should be under the muscle. Please consult with a plastic surgeon.

Ozge Ergun, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

You'll do well, just go under the muscle

The only benefits of silicone over saline in your situation is that silicone is softer and less likely to show wrippling.  However, it's your body.  If you want to use saline, that's fine.  The implants MUST be placed under the muscle in thin women with no breast tissue.  Anything else is disastrous.  Good luck!

Robert S. Houser, DO
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Saline implants

You appear very thin, and saline implants are fine but I like to put them under the muscle to help minimize visibility or rippling in the upper pole.

Results with saline implants

Thank you for your question.  It sounds like you have been well educated by the surgeons during your consultations.  You would get a very nice result with saline implants if done properly....under the muscle, implants filled within the manufacturer's recommended fill volumes, proper dimensions based on your measurements, etc.

Saline vs silicone

Hello and thank you for your question. There have been many studies done after silicone implants were taken off the market. Those studies have all shown that silicone implants do not lead to an increased risk of auto-immune disease or cancer. Even after this is explained to some patients, some still remain concerned with having silicone in their body. I believe, the more breast tissue you have, the more difficult it is to tell the difference between saline and silicone. However, the less breast tissue you have it becomes easier to tell the difference between saline and silicone by both look and feel. Silicone implants just feel a little more "tissue like" and therefore feel a little more natural. Also, silicone implants have a decreased risk of showing rippling. You have very, very thin breast tissue which I believe will show any irregularities in the implant you chose so with a saline implant you are likely to see rippling. However, if you understand all these pros and cons to silicone vs saline and you still choose saline it is definitely something that can be done. I recommend silicone implants for most of my patients for some of the reasons I stated before. I give the pros and cons of each based on the patients breast characteristics. In the end however, it is completely the patient's choice on whether they want saline or silicone. I hope this helps and hopefully you are being evaluated by a board certified plastic surgeon!

Ankur Mehta MD

Ankur Mehta, MD
Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon

Saline Implants

Thank you for your inquiry and for providing photos. You can definitely have saline implants if you are afraid to have silicone implants. Please know however you have absolutely nothing to be afraid of. Silicone implants are extremely safe. The issue with having saline implants is that you seem to have a very thin frame with little fat. When raising your arms you may be able to see the rippling of the implants. Consult with a board certified plastic surgeon for best results and discuss your concerns. Best of Luck!

Yes, I Believe You Can

Thank you for your question,

Saline implants have been around and have been successful for decades.  I only use saline implants in my patients.

In a sub-muscular position they can look very natural.  There can be a few trade-offs, they may not feel as natural as silicone because they are filled with saline and do not have the viscosity of silicone.  If under filled they can show some ripples when naked, but usually ripples do not show if there is any pressure on the chest, such as from a bra or bathing suit.  They are clearly easier to follow through time.  You are 32 years old you will have your implants for decades.  During any of your consultations was it mentioned to you that the only way to follow the integrity of silicone implants through time is to pay for an expensive MRI scan?  The going rate for an silicone implant MRI scan right now it about $1,100.

A lot will depend on your exam and an honest discussion about your goals and the pros and cons of the procedure.

Thanks

Gordon Telepun, MD

Decatur Alabama

Can I get good results with saline implants with minimal breast tissue

Thank you for your question. Definitely you can have saline implants. Saline implants can show ripples especially in thinner individuals.