Also will I be a good candidate for labiaplasty? (Photos)

Good Candidate for Labiaplasty

In response to your question, the best answer is that it is most up to you. Women have a wide range of normal  color, texture, size and asymmetries of their genitalia. This is true of the Vulva and all of its parts, the same as other parts of the body. Candidates for #labiaplasty and #vaginal surgery include women concerned about the appearance of their genitals , or those who experience discomfort, pain or difficulty with sexual relations.  Moisture can create problems such as yeast infections. Be sure to look into some of the essential research points included here before making your final decision. Best of luck!

If you're concerned about the appearance of protruding labia minora (which you are by definition of posting these pics on Realself!) you AT LEAST should get a consultation from a doctor who understands the extended wedge labiaplasty. If your consulting MD only knows how to do the trim, then keep searching. You're a great candidate in the right hands.

Labiaplasty Candidate?

Thank you for your question about Labiaplasty.

Based on your pictures, labiaplasty for you would be optional and elective, certainly not necessary.

To be sure, see two or more experienced, board-certified Plastic Surgeons in your area for a complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have surgery.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

I would agree with the others. Yes, it appears that you would be a good candidate based upon the pictures. A good surgeon will do an exam and be honest with you in regards to your options and what technique they feel would deliver you the results that you seek. Best wishes. 

You're a good candidate for labiaplasty if you feel your labia are too long. I recommend you look into doing a good posterior wedge procedure for the best aesthetic results. See more about this on my website on the link below. Good luck

Robert L. True, MD
Grapevine OB/GYN

OK to have a labiaplasty, but don't be a victim of "American Female Genital Mutilation" by an untrained surgeon!

Sure. Why not, BUT ONLY IF THEY TRULY "BUG" YOU... Hey, labia come in a wondrous array of shapes & sizes & we guys don't mind & dig it whatever the size is. But is they're "...too large" for you, you definitely would be a good candidate for a LP, but- please be a good consumer and do your research, or you could end up like some of the poor ladies who write into us with horrendos from labiaplasties performed by their "...friendly local Ob/Gyn." Whatever you do, only let a trained & experienced plastic or cosmetic Gyn surgeon operate or you (NOT a general Ob/Gyn,) or you could be a victim of "...American female genital mutilation..."

Michael P Goodman, MD
Davis, CA, USA

Labiaplasty candidate

Hello and thank you for your question.  You would be an excellent candidate for labia minoraplasty and prepuce reduction.  Possibly even labia majora reduction for an overall more youthful appearance.  The labiaplasty can be done in various ways.  We tend to prefer a longitudinal incision from top to bottom over a wedge resection . The reasons for this are several:   the incisional scar becomes invisible to the naked eye; there is far less chance of interrupting the major vascular supply to the labia which would result in necrosis in the center of the labia and a hole that needs to be repaired or reconstructed; this prevents placing thickened darkend labial tissue on top juxtaposed to a thinner less dark labial tissue on the bottom which does not look natural; this prevents a scar in the middle of the labia perpendicular to its orientation and therefore more obvious in its appearance.  The prepuce must be done by an experienced surgeon as lack of experience in this particular procedure can result in less than desireable results or complications. Finally, performing labiaplasty without the prepuce reduction can result in a very unnatural and undesirable appearance which will need to be revised in the future. So be sure you find a doctor experienced in the particular aspects of each of these and best of luck!  I hope this helps

Scott M GulinsonMD
ObGyn and cosmetic vulvovaginal surgeon. 
Glendale AZ

Good candidate for Labiaplasty?

I reviewed your photos. Your labia minora enlarged. A labiaplasty with a clitoral hood reduction can reduce your size. However, it must be performed by a surgeon with experience. One of the two most common labiaplasty techniques is the central wedge technique, which I invented in 1995 and published in the plastic surgery textbooks. It is also known as the "V" or wedge technique. Gynecologists and most plastic surgeons perform a labioplasty very differently. They essentially trim the labia minora (inner vaginal lips) and leave a long suture line instead of the normal labial edge. Their technique is the same whether a scalpel or a laser is used. In contrast, the central wedge removes triangles of tissue and bring the normal edges together. Thus, the normal labial edges, normal color, and normal anatomy are preserved, but the darkest labial tissue is usually removed. If you have extra tissue on your clitoral hood and prepuce, it can be reduced at the same time. It can be decreased somewhat by reducing the sides. I pioneered a clitoropexy with clitoral hood reduction in which the clitoris is pushed closer to the pubic bone and the width, thickness, length, and protuberance of the clitoral hood can be decreased. No matter the technique, an inexperienced or unskilled surgeon can lead to a high rate of complications, chronic scar discomfort, labial deformities, and further surgery.

Gary J. Alter, MD

Labiaplasty candidate?

Thanks for the question and sharing your pictures. Yes, you look like you would be an excellent candidate for the labiaplasty procedure. In your case the labiaplasty would also involve reducing the lateral prepuce up near the clitoral hood. If this is not done, this area will still bulge and may actually protrude out. This will not be the outcome you desire! We see many women that have labia reduced and this lateral prepuce is not reduced and they end up very unhappy and end up with more surgery. Experience in cosmetic vaginal surgery and specifically Labiaplasty is vital, so make sure and choose your surgeon wisely!! Reducing the prepuce correctly takes an extra level of expertise and should be done with most labiaplasty's including yours! 

Best at of luck to you, 

Dr Robert D Moore

Cosmetic Vaginal Surgery

Atlanta - Beverly Hills - Dubai

Robert D. Moore, DO
Atlanta Urogynecologist

To achieve best results

Dear Lexienicole99

Thank you for sharing the photos and question.  I usually don't recommend more surgery than the patient is requesting with one exception:  lateral redundant prepuce.  Approximately 70% of the women I have performed labiaplasty on will also have a lateral redundant prepuce reduction.  This gives the woman a more streamline look and decreases the width of the clitoral hood area.  This does not take away clitoral function if the surgeon understands how to perform the surgery.  Please see my link below to understand the lateral prepuce.  

I think you would be an excellent candidate for labiaplasty and lateral prepuce reduction if you feel this surgery is wanted.

John R Miklos MD
Urogynecologist & Cosmetic Vaginal Surgeon
Atlanta ~ Beverly Hills ~ Dubai