Candidate Now for a Tummy Tuck? Can I Just Have Large Implants to Lift my Breasts or Would It Be Necessary for a Lift ? (photo)

Pre baby weight with first child was 127, second child 168. I am 5'6". I gained up to 220 with last child. I have been working really hard to lose the weight and am now at 174lbs. Would I at this current weight of 174lbs be a good candidate for a tummy tuck? I want also to do something with my breasts. Would I absolutely need a lift or can I have larger implants in to perk the girls up again? I want the "poofy" looking cleavage on top and areoles reduced in size.

No to Large Implants

Thank you for your pictures.  You certainly could get a tummy tuck.  I would not recommend large implants in breasts that have already lost their support.  A breast lift and small reduction would work much better.  

Dr. ES

Candidate Now for a Tummy Tuck? Can I Just Have Large Implants to Lift my Breasts or Would It Be Necessary for a Lift ?

A breast augmentation will add fullness to the superior portion of the breasts, but a breast lift will be necessary to lift the breasts.  The areolae can be reduced in size at the time of the breast lift.  A tummy tuck can yield a nice result at your current weight.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of breast augmentation, breast lift, and tummy tuck procedures each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Tummy Tuck / Breast Lift -- YES!!

You look like a wonderful candidate for an abdominoplasty and breast lift.  You really should NOT think about a breast augmentation.  You have droopy breasts with grade 2 ptosis.  Large implants will just fill out the large skin envelope, and the weight of the implants will make them sag more.  The nipples will go further down rather than up!  When looking thru photo galleries of pure breast lifts and pure breast augmentations, pay attention to the side photographs and the relationship between the breast/chest fold (infra-mammary fold) vs nipple position.  You will eventually decide that a lift is indicated.
Dr.B

Mommy Makeover with Augmentation Mastopexy

The intentional result of a Breast Lift (#Mastopexy) is to improve the shape and position of the breast without reducing their size. It is used especially for breasts which sag or droop (#ptosis) as a result of aging, weight loss, pregnancy, or breastfeeding. However, many women report more satisfaction if an implant is used at the time of #mastopexy. The implants further shape their breasts, restoring superior fullness or volume which may be decreased over time.

In regards to implants alone, this is usually said to be mistake by patients reflecting back at the decision. Most breasts will look larger and more droopy with solely implants. They will sag more and sooner, due to the sudden and excess weight. At times it's possible for a “Snoopy” breast or double bubble to develop as a result.

A Mommy Makeover is a combination of procedures to bring a woman’s body back to the way she looked prior to pregnancy. Most commonly some variation of a #TummyTuck and #BreastSurgery are performed. Additional procedures can include liposuction, umbilical hernia repair.  The most common #breastprocedures include #mastopexy or #breastlift, #breastaugmentation, or #breastreduction. 

Always talk to a Plastic Surgeon to discuss your issues and concerns. Information that you read online may not apply to your situation. Make sure your surgeon is boarded by the American Board of Plastic Surgeons.

Breast Lift is About More than Fuller Breasts

You look like a great candidate for a tummy tuck, but unfortunately I think you need a breast lift with implants.

A breast lift is about more than adding fullness, it's about changing where the nipples sit on the chest.  You need to bring your nipples up higher on your chest wall to achieve the fullness you want.  If you don't have a lift, you might end up with what we call a "double bubble" where you have the fullness of your own breast tissue hanging underneath the fullness of a breast implant.  Your Plastic Surgeon should take measurements that include the distance of your nipple from the inside edge of your collar bone and the placement of your nipple in relation to the fold under your breast.  You want those measurements to reflect a youthful breast.

The good news is that breast tissue tends to scar well.  Although it will take awhile (expect a year or so) those breast lift scars tend to fade nicely and are hidden well at the bottom of the breast.  My patients really feel the lift, when needed, was so worth it!

J. Dayne Petersen, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Mommy Makeover Plan

I would not recommend large implants for you as this would lead to larger heavier saggier breasts.  Consider either a breast lift or an augmentation with a lift.  To correct for your ptosis (sagging) you will need a lift.   In addition a tummy tuck may be a good option for you as well.  Best wishes,

Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

Tummy tuck and breast augmentation

You have two seperate questions mixed in your post. 

1. Tummy tuck.  At your current weight, you could get a good result from a tummy tuck.  If you think you can continue to lose weight, you could have a great result!

2. Breasts:  Implants alone will give you a terrible results.  You will have a breast that has fallen over top of a big implant.  You need a smaller skin envelope.  You need a breast lift. This can be done with or without implants. 

Good Luck!

Gordon Lewis, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Mommy Makeover

Pregnancy and childbirth can cause undesired changes to the female body, namely: sagging breasts (breast ptosis), increased abdominal fullness (rectus diastasis), tummy rolls (abdominal adiposity), and stretch marks (abdominal striae). The mommy makeover is a group of procedures--most often comprised of a breast lift (mastopexy) and tummy tuck (abdominoplasty)--designed to reverse these changes.

As in any surgical procedure, the best outcomes can be expected when the patient is closest to their ideal body weight, through the use of diet and exercise. A BMI of 30 is a safe standard to use (a woman who is 5'6" and 174lbs has a BMI of 28.1). In cases where there is significant upper abdominal fullness, liposuction can be performed prior to the formal abdominoplasty. When upper abdominal liposuction is performed during an abdominoplasty, the risk of complications (i.e. infection & wound breakdown) increases. Therefore, if weight loss is particularly difficult or there is excess upper abdominal fat, a staged procedure (liposuction followed by abdominoplasty in 4-6 months) may be best.

For women with larger breasts and breast ptosis, a breast lift alone is sufficient to restore breast position and volume. With smaller breasts and breast ptosis accompanied more significant post-partum involutional changes (loss of breast tissue following pregnancy) a combined breast augmentation and mastopexy ("pexy/aug") is required.

Ultimate Mommy Makeover

You are an excellent candidate for a new technique called Abdominoplasty with Mesh Reinforcement.  This technique creates a more hourglass figure, helps you lose weight and maintain the reduced weight.  The mesh provides increased mechanical strength, which results in early satiety.  I frequently use this technique on patients who have difficulty losing weight.  At the same time, you can undergo a Breast Augmentation with Mini Ultimate Breast Lift.  Using only a circumareola incision it is possible to reshape your breast tissue creating upper pole fullness, elevate them higher on the chest wall and more medial to increase your cleavage.  Through the same incision, an implant can be placed.  Aligning the areola, breast tissue and implant over the bony prominence of the chest wall gives maximum anterior projection with a minimal size implant.  Small silicone implants placed retro-pectoral are more stable long term, look and feel more natural, less likely to ripple or have complications needing revision.  You are an excellent candidate for The Ultimate Mommy Makeover.    

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck and Breast Lift or Large Implants

Thank you for posting your photographs.   You are an excellent candidate for a full tummy tuck and breast lift with implants.     

By placing large implants, it is like placing a larger rock in the same sock.   May look good for a few weeks, but will stretch the skin even more than before and make it harder to correct.   Bottomline, big implants lead to big problems.

Therefore, I would visit with a board certified plastic surgeon to learn more about a breast lift with augmentation and a tummy tuck.    

I wish you a safe and healthy recovery.

Paul S. Gill, MD