4 weeks post op. Breast augmentation with lift & implant. Will my nipple ever heal? I'm freaking out! (Photo)

I was very large breasted before surgery,day after surgery right nipple was purple. My ps said it was very bruised & should heal fine. he told me to start treating with antibiotic ointment & keep covered to allow scab to fall off. He said he had to take out a lot of breast tissue & some blood supply was sacrificed. Am I going to have to have a skin graft or does this normally heal? I love my ps, he has done a wonderful job & is seeing me every week to monitor healing. I'm just really scared.

Poor nipple healing

You surely have a problem with your nipple and areola, which will require more dressing and almost certainly a revision. The positive side is that your surgeon is proactively dealing with it, and there is no doubt that everything will heal eventually. It may take a while, but this is an unfortunate complication that does happen occasionally.

London Plastic Surgeon

Nipple and areola

It appears that you have full thickness necrosis of the nipple and areola. continue to follow up with your plastic surgeon weekly. This may require debridement. Only time will tell what you may need down the road to fix whatever remains of the nipple and Areola. 

James Shoukas, MD
Lake Mary Plastic Surgeon

4 weeks post op. Breast augmentation with lift & implant. Will my nipple ever heal? I'm freaking out!

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well... I have to say that I'm very sorry about your concerns, you have developed a nipple or areola necrosis, which have to be treated with your surgeon personally and with a couple of more visits on the office to cure you, hugs!

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Ischemic Nipple with Breast Surgery

You appear to have a very rare but unfortunate problem - poor blood supply to your nipple areolar complex.  The picture present looks like a nipple that has full thickness loss.  I have had this problem myself and sometime a reasonable nipple areola shows up as the scab falls off.   Continue to see your PS and trust he will do all he can to help you.  If you actually loose your nipple - they will wait for it to granulate, then skin graft it to recreate one.

Richard Greco, MD
Savannah Plastic Surgeon

Ischemic nipple and areola

It looks from the photos that you included, that you have suffered from some lack of blood flow to the nipple and areolar  complex. you may need some reconstruction of that area in the future. Speak with your plastic surgeon who can guide you on the wound care regimen to allow that to happen. Good luck. 

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Nipple problems post BTR

You do have a problem with that nipple due to reduced blood supply.  If you wait it out, the scab will fall off leavins pink tissue beneath, which will the heal,, It will look awful when the scab falls off, but wait it out.   The skin color will also be mottled pink and white for a while, until the pigment comes back into the scar. Your surgeon is following you well, and at some point may recommend debriding (cutting) off the scap to facilitate healing.  It is too early to know whether you will need some nipple/areola reconstruction, or tattooing to match the color with your other nipple.  Good luck, b patient, and follow your surgeons recommendations

Paul Silverstein, MD
Oklahoma City Plastic Surgeon

Appears as very serious problem with your N/A. Seek only in person examinations.....................