Kybella or chin liposuction? (photos)

I am only 21 years old and had a baby last year. But my entire life I have had a double chin. It has increased significantly since having my son. I believe it is hereditary because my mother and grandmother also suffer from double chin. I am getting married in May of 2017 and do not want to cringe when I see my double chin in pictures. What procedure would be best for me for the time frame and amount of double chin I have. Thanks for any help!

Cool-mini versus Kybella

Cool-mini and Kybella would both work very well for our submental fat.  Liposuction is invasive and I would want to avoid a surgical procedure if possible.  Best, Dr. Green

Submental Liposuction more appropriate

This question comes up frequently in my practice. I typically break it down as follows:Kybella is great to dissolve the fat and improve the contour in the submental region. It takes 2-3 treatments for maximal results so it is more of a marathon mindset, not a sprint. Liposuction is better for someone with fat that needs to be removed throughout the neck and is not willing to wait the 3 months to get the result they want. From your photos, depending on what your expectations are, you might be a better candidate for submental liposuction because it can contour your jawline as well. 

Michael T. Somenek, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Kybella

Thank you for your question lexishay. Kybella is the first and thus far only FDA approved non-surgical injectable treatment for the double chin. There are multiple causes of submental fullness such as age, genetics, and weight gain. Kybella offers outstanding results. Most people require 2-4 treatments spaced every 6-8 weeks, but some people require up to 6 treatments. Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations.  Good luck!

Alex Eshaghian, MD, PhD
Encino Physician

Kybella or liposuction

Based on your limited pictures, it is difficult to assess your neck and decide on the best technique for you. If you desire more of a significant contouring of your entire neck then submental liposuction would be better. For a more limited under the chin fullness correction, kybella would be fine. I would consult with a local facial plastic surgeon.

Kyle S. Choe, MD
Virginia Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Double chin treatment

Of course you need to be seen and examined to determine how much of the tissue its fatty and win what layers, deep or superficial, where the fat is located.  Often times glands contribute to the fullness of the neck.  If these are not addressed properly along with treatment of the fat the overall appearance of the neck can be me unnatural.

Liposuction of the Chin and Neck

Thank you for your question and for sharing photos. You seem to be a good candidate for liposuction of the chin and neck. This procedure is ideal for candidates who are healthy but have hereditary or stubborn pockets of fat in this area. Laser Liposuction can also be used to tighten up any loose skin in this area. CoolSculpting might be an option for you, but you will need to undergo several treatments and the results take months to see. You should have a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon for precise recommendations. 

Kevin Tehrani, MD, FACS

Double Chin/Neck Laxity/Jawline Contouring -- Kybella, VASER Lipo, ThermiRF, Thermage/Ultherapy, Fillers like Radiesse/Sculptra

I suggest a formal consultation but it seems like you will want a significant amount of fat removal, skin tightening and jawline contouring which will require a surgical approach such as liposuction.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Double chin can be treated by liposuction, thermitight, kybella, or coolsculpting

There are several treatments for a double chin. Usually a double or even sometimes a triple applicator series may be done with coolsculpting and this may be repeated a couple of times two months or more apart. Kybella may be done 4 - 6 times and require three or more vials per treatment and be repeated every six weeks or so. Liposuction or liposuction with thermitight is done as one procedure with a rare need to do a secondary procedure six or more months later. You would have to add up all the costs of the noninvasive treatment and compare this with the surgical fee of liposuction with or without ThermiTight radiofrequency which can melt fat and tighten the skin tissues.The information provided in Dr. Shelton's answer is for educational purposes only and is not intended to constitute medical advice.  The information provided should not be relied upon as a substitute for consultations with a qualified health professional who may be familiar with your individual medical needs. 

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon

Kybella or chin liposuction

Thank you for ypur question.  Good candidates for kybella are also good candidates for liposuction (good skin tone and fullness in the submental region).  I would recommend liposuction and a chin implant,which will give a much more dramatic result.  Consult with a board certified plastic surgery. Best wishes.  

Treatment for my double chin?

Hello lexishay,Thank you so much for you question and photos. From the photos it appears you are a good candidate for either Kybella or Chin Liposuction. Kybella is an excellent treatment for permanent fat reduction in the area below the chin (submental fat). To obtain the best results the typical person will require 2-4 treatments to achieve the desired results. These would be done approximately 4-6 weeks apart. Swelling and tenderness in the treated area will be expected after each treatment and can last for a week or so. Liposuction on the other hand can afford you the opportunity to treat a slightly broader area than will Kybella and may be more what you appear to be looking for. To truly assess what is best for you, cost considerations, recovery time etc. an in person consultation with a plastic surgeon or other professional well versed and who performs both procedures will give you the best information by which you can move forward. You have plenty of time before your wedding for either of these. Wishing you well.

Paul Pietro, MD
Greenville Physician